Dead River Company
This position oversees energy distribution and service operations in a local geographic area. The General Manager supervises managers in his or her local market. The position may also directly supervise front-line non-exempt employees. This position seeks to build a sales culture, achieve a high level of customer satisfaction and loyalty while meeting or exceeding efficiency and profitability objectives. The General Manager provides leadership in support of the Dead River Company Brand Promise and Customer Guarantees and Pledges and demonstrates Dead River Company Core Values.
1. Directs local field operations utilizing managers and front-line employees. Attains a thorough understanding of the function and goals of each functional area.
2. Is the “face” of Dead River Company in his or her local market and seeks market growth through community contacts, staying abreast of competitive forces in the marketplace, enthusiastically promoting company sales and marketing campaigns, and encouraging employee sales involvement.
3. Retains customers by providing exceptional service as evidenced by a commitment to our Customer Guarantees and Pledges.
4. Guides the execution of our delivery strategy. Routinely attends weekly driver, CSR and service department huddles.
5. In collaboration with the Area Director, participates in the resolution of a variety of challenging situations including customer relationships and employee disciplinary issues. Leverages Human Resources and other shared services as needed.
6. Participates in preparation of the annual operating and capital budget and analyzes monthly financial statements identifying and responding to variances from budget.
7. Actively participates in the selection, development and retention of competent and motivated employees in all functional areas. Coaches and develops direct reports and provides ongoing performance feedback.
8. Evaluates performance of direct reports through the Performance Scorecard. Evaluates/calibrates scorecards for all positions in area of responsibility. Makes recommendations in the annual merit wage increase process.
9. Maintains a thorough knowledge and understanding of all Energy policies, procedures, and programs. Maintains an understanding of all federal and state laws and regulations pertaining to petroleum distribution and service.
10. Attains a thorough understanding of the ADDS E3 system along with other systems for accounting and financial control.
11. In collaboration with the Area Director, makes decisions relating to the fleet, buildings, grounds, and bulk plants.
12. Promotes safety programs and is an advocate for safety.
13. Sets a high standard of corporate image, promotes a harmonious and productive working environment, and upholds the integrity of company policies and procedures.
Participates in special projects as needed or assigned.
This position requires a minimum of 4 years’ experience leading people. A minimum of 4 years’ experience managing a full-service energy operation is strongly preferred.
Other Attributes Required:
Strong communication skills
Good judgment and the ability to make timely decisions
Strong delegation skills
Effective performance management experience
Demonstrated budget and financial analysis experience
Exhibits Dead River Company core leadership competencies including:
Building effective teams
Drive for results
Hiring and staffing
Integrity and trust
A bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Equipment and Tools Used:
Basic office and computer related equipment.
This position deals frequently with customers, community business contacts, equipment suppliers, supervisors and other employees at all levels within the company
This position is called upon to make important decisions relating to customer relationships, staffing, employee relations, profitability, and other operational matters. Major decisions are made in consultation with the Area Director.
This position has a major role in the Market’s safety program. The company has both large deductible and self-insured insurance programs in place. Success of these programs is dependent on the General Manager’s leadership and commitment to reducing employee injuries, vehicle accidents, and liability claims. The position personally has safety considerations relating to vehicle safety, trip/slip/fall hazards, and ergonomics issues in the office.
Significant time is spent in an office setting with controlled temperatures. Time is also spent outside the office in various settings including all weather conditions and temperatures.
Physical Requirements Analysis:
The position requires frequent sitting, standing, and walking
There is frequent use of the fingers to write, input data into a computer system, and handle paperwork
There is frequent communication involving both speaking and listening in person and over the telephone
Weight or Force Moved:
There is rarely a need to lift or move an object weighing more than 25 pounds.
Share this job