Job Posting End Date: 09/04
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:A Scaled Agile leader, the Senior Product Owner collaborates closely with IT and business stakeholders to create and support customer experience program vision & roadmap development. The Senior Product Owner directly oversees scrum team delivery of supporting capabilities needed for execution of the roadmap, driving feature definition and delivery for complex and/or large initiatives. The Senior Product Owner has content and prioritization authority of the Team Backlog and is expected to lead the development of solutions that effectively meet Program Increment (PI) customer experience objectives, with the least amount of effort, while also maintaining technical integrity. The Senior Product Owner is also accountable for operational readiness and mobilizes the right people to prepare the business to effectively accept, use and support new capabilities before they are delivered to production. The Senior Product Owner often oversees multiple scrum teams and may oversee the contributions of additional Product Owners if needed based on the scope and complexity of their assigned roadmap.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the creation of the company vision, setting the vision for the scrum team and leading tactical strategies to align programs and efforts to that vision.
- Drives the company vision by working with the scrum team to ensure the work being prioritized and executed delivers on that vision.
- Influences and sometimes owns the strategy for the segment of development work
- Leads self-development and the development of peers through sharing best practices and mistakes.
- Leads the monitoring and assessing implications of current and emerging market and technology trends relevant to the Company.
- Leads on developing business case for roadmap investments, driving business areas to focus on results by helping them define how and when benefit realizations will be measured.
- Owns team backlog and responsible for building, editing, and managing it by engaging the product manager, agile team, stakeholders, and IT partners to ensure content and priority alignment with program backlog.
- Partners with business analysts and subject matter experts to elicit, capture, analyze, and refine needs for assigned features through user story writing and uses stories to build shared understanding and clarification of the need.
- Takes bold action in close partnership with IT Leadership to ensure appropriately skilled, diverse, and nimble teams of talented individuals are in place to meet business needs and goals. Actively works to increase team cohesion by engaging in team building and recognition of achievements.
- Collaborates with architects, designers and agile team on technical solutions.
- Defines iteration goals and inspires the team to meet commitments by connecting goals to the broader program vision and the value of the work.
- Drives the definition of ready and done in collaboration with team and Scrum Master. Accepts user stories.
- Expected to attend and engage in all applicable team and program-level ceremonies. May lead the planning and execution of select ceremonies as assigned.
- Ensures the business value of features within the economic framework defined for the value stream.
- Represents the voice of the customer to the team by partnering closely with the Business Delivery Highway/Customer Value Stream teams to maintain a working knowledge of relevant personas, customer journeys, as well as emerging customer needs/opportunities.
- Proactively leads operational readiness efforts associated with new technology-driven capabilities.
- Potential to lead Product Owner C.O.P for development area
- Able to lead multiple scrum teams if needed
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Proven experience working with AI and Machine Learning solutions and prior experience scaling AI/Machine Learning within business operations
- Demonstrated Product Management experience creating software solutions to meet customer needs
- Previous experience leading digital transformation initiatives to drive business and technology change within an enterprise
- Proven ability to lead a team
- Proven ability to translate business needs to technology leaders and visa versa.
- Exhibits strong leadership skills, including the ability to effectively partner, influence, motivate, think critically, challenge conventional thinking, and generate and apply unique business insight to create competitive advantage for the organization.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and track record of engaging with customers/ cross-functional stakeholders at all levels, in a wide variety of situations, and demonstrated ability to listen, influence, and relate to customers/stakeholders in their own language.
- Proven ability to make difficult decisions and justify the decision.
- Creative thinker and problem solver who can confidently express complex ideas in an articulate, concise manner.
- Experienced in negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Demonstrates high levels of ownership and accountability. Self-starter and ability to effectively chart a path forward in ambiguous situations or under a general direction.
- Demonstrates the ability to champion change and lead teams through change.
- Ability to maintain fast pace, adequately consider alternatives, make tough calls, foster great teamwork, and have fun.
- Exhibits courage by taking smart risks and encourages others to do so.
- Demonstrates a foundational knowledge of associated technical disciplines.
- Strong ability to translate business strategy into business capability roadmaps.
- Able to effectively coach, mentor, and identify and address skill needs and gaps for continuous improvement of self and team.
- Demonstrated enhanced technical acumen
- Demonstrated results against ‘We are Unum’ principles.
- Intellectual curiosity
- Product Owner certification preferred
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.