About the Opportunity
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
The Administrative Assistant will provide general administrative support to department faculty and students. Duties include organizing and scheduling meetings, managing and troubleshooting meeting technology, tracking and maintaining department budgets, maintaining office equipment, generating purchase orders, reconciling expenses, email communications, filing, mail sorting, answering department telephones, and ordering office supplies. The Administrative Assistant will assist with events, including workshops, conferences, and seminars as required.
- Serves as the department’s initial and key point of contact for inquiries about programs, policies, and processes. Acquires and applies knowledge of the department to routine matters and escalates more serious matters.
- Provide general administrative and operational support to department faculty and students, which may include organizing and scheduling meetings, tracking and maintaining department budgets, maintaining office equipment, generating purchase orders, reconciling corporate credit cards, emailing communications, filing, sorting mail, answering department telephones, and ordering office supplies.
- Gathers, organizes, and reviews data from a variety of sources for record keeping, reporting and program management.
- Assists with the planning of events and coordination of activities needed to hold workshops, conferences, and seminars.
- Carries out special assignments by completing activities, monitoring progress, and ensuring work is completed accurately and on time.
- Knowledge of office administration practices and processes
- Proficiency with MS Office products, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to plan, organize and set priorities; time management; attention to detail, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to carry out special assignments by completing activities, monitoring progress, and ensuring work is completed accurately and on time.
- Associate degree or equivalent and 1-3 years’ relevant experience
Position TypeGeneral Administration
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.