Northern Light Acadia Hospital
Department: Psychiatric Unit - Pediatric
Position is located: Acadia
Work Type:Full Time
Work Schedule: 10:00 AM to 10:30 PM
The Supervisor-Pediatric Unit is proficient and typically has three or more year’s psychiatric nursing experience. This Supervisor is responsible for assuring that evening shift programming is in place and meets the needs of the milieu. This Supervisor provides supervision, guidance and mentoring in the following areas; group facilitation, collaborative problem solving, building therapeutic alliances, boundaries, orientation of new staff, orienting charge nurses and medication nurses. This Supervisor works closely with the Nurse Manager to complete evaluations, interview for vacant positions, and to complete the monthly schedule. Competency in the seven core areas of nursing practice has an emphasis on leadership, teaching and mentoring
- Anticipates the need for and performs accurate and timely patient assessment(s) that considers patient’s chronological and developmental age.
- Anticipates and ensures patient needs are completed prior to discharge.
- Analyzes Patient Care Hours tool accurately and develops plan based on identified needs.
- Identifies individual patient needs, recognizes inter-disciplinary resources and works collaboratively to develop individualized plans of care.
- Documents all aspects of the assessment process within the defined policy standards.
- Assess(s) pain and develops appropriate intervention and documents.
- Makes patient assignments based on evaluation of patient needs and each staff members abilities.
- Maintains flow of communication with team members throughout the shift.
- Develops individualized plans of care in collaboration with the patient and significant others that takes into consideration patient’s chronological age and stage of development
- Provides patients with timely and complete care in accordance with diagnosis, and other factors influencing care needs, that take into consideration patient’s chronological age and stage of development.
- Documentation encompasses an understanding of bio-psychosocial formulation.
- Handles, administers and documents medications according to policy. Anticipates patient care needs related to medications and practice accordingly.
- Proactively assesses patient needs, works with patient and staff to develop a plan that meets the patient needs.
- Anticipates learning needs, develops and implements an education plan for all patients based on a needs assessment. Educational plans are comprehensive and take into consideration the patient’s chronological age and stage of development.
- Documents education provided according to policy.
- Plans programming based on milieu needs and maintains structure of scheduled programming.
- Anticipates safety hazards and responds appropriately. Is responsible for ensuring a safe and clean environment.
- Anticipates emergency situations and responds appropriately (fire, codes, etc.).
- Demonstrates and teaches others the correct technique in the use of equipment.
- Anticipates safety hazards and initiates corrective action.
- Mentors staff to develop therapeutic alliances and to use collaborative problem solving.
- Proactively plans to effectively manage milieu and staff related issues.
- Supports change and assists with implementing change within the institution and unit.
- Maintains positive working relationships with all members of the healthcare team.
- Delegates appropriate tasks to ancillary personnel.
- Provides individual supervision of nursing staff as indicated.
- Staff evaluations are completed on time.
- In collaboration with Nurse Manager completes monthly schedule on time, taking into consideration appropriate staff mix for each shift.
- Manages conflict appropriately.
- Actively listens and utilizes two-way communication with others.
- Non-verbal communication is respectful.
- Will participate in the peer review process in order to assess and provide feedback to professional colleagues.
- Takes a leadership role in ensuring unit specific and hospital-wide performance improvement processes are followed.
- Anticipates conditions that may require an improvement in performance and/or process. Works with others to initiate new process that can improve day-to-day functioning.
- Monitors for use of overtime and implements strategies to eliminate overtime (assuring meal breaks, down staffing as indicated).
- Works with the Nurse Manager to assure permanent and part time vacancies are filled in a timely manner.
- Assures that Occurrence Reports are accurate, completed on time and available for House Administrator by the end of the shift.
- Earns 12 contact hours per year in addition to mandatory requirements.
- Takes a leadership role in staff meeting discussions and disseminating information to other staff.
- Anticipates learning needs of new staff and students. Takes a leadership role in teaching and precepting both formally and informally.
- Meets Department expectations regarding punctuality, absenteeism, and flexibility in scheduling.
- Assist in maintaining a work environment free from recognized hazards that create a risk of injury to employees, patients or visitors and that all accidents and incidents are reported by employees and properly investigated. When appropriate, assist with the return of all workers with work related injuries and illnesses to gainful employment.
- Takes responsibility for self-assessment of educational needs and seeks out needed education.
- Participates in Community/Community Relations Activities/Initiatives.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Registered Nurse
* Associate's Degree
* Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.
Northern Light Acadia Hospital is an acute care, regional psychiatric hospital in Bangor, Maine that is a leader in the provision of tele-psychiatry services, including consultations to regional emergency departments and primary care practices. Northern Light Acadia Hospital offers innovative programming in the form of a behavioral home health, integrated behavioral healthcare in primary care practices, and a geriatric mood and memory clinic, which is involved in multiple clinical trials for promising Alzheimer's medications. The hospital is the sole corporate member of Northern Light Acadia Healthcare that provides a substance use disorder treatment program, case management services, and other outpatient mental health services in Penobscot, Waldo, and Knox counties. Northern Light Acadia Healthcare is the sole member of Restorative Health, LLC that operates an outpatient mental health clinic in Bangor. Northern Light Acadia Hospital is a member of Northern Light Health, an integrated statewide health delivery system that is raising the bar with no-nonsense solutions that are leading the way to a healthier future for our state. Northern Light Health offers a broad range of providers and services, including nine hospitals, primary care and specialty physician practices, long-term care, home health and hospice agencies, and emergency ground and air transport.
Bangor, Maine is a vibrant small city with easy access to Maine's spectacular coast, mountains, and lakes. Schools rank among New England's best with the flagship campus of the University of Maine located in the neighboring town of Orono. Bangor serves as the regional hub for medicine, the arts, and commerce. Bangor International Airport offers direct and one-stop service to most major destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status