Note: All employees are required to be Covid-19 Vaccinated.
The Dental Hygienist works with the Dentist to meet the oral needs of patients; duties include cleaning teeth, examining patients for oral diseases, and providing other preventative dental care, including educating patients of improving and maintaining good oral health.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing, seating, and draping patient.
- Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments.
- Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating patient's oral health.
- Completes dental prophylaxis by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth and from beneath gum margins.
- Assists in the detection of disease by feeling and visually examining gums; using probes to locate periodontal disease and to assess levels of recession; etc.
- Takes and prepares x-rays for dentist's review.
- Arrests dental decay by applying fluorides and other cavity- preventing agents.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instruction.
- Documents dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and medical and dental histories; charting in patient records.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; etc.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- May fill in at front desk as needed.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Be committed to the mission of the Bucksport Regional Health Center.
- Work as a member of the dental team in the performance of duties.
- Be punctual for scheduled work and use time appropriately.
- Work in harmonious relationships with all staff, patients, vendors and others.
- Perform duties in a conscientious, cooperative manner.
- Perform required amount of work in a timely fashion with a minimum of errors.
- Be neat and maintain a professional appearance.
- Maintain confidentiality and protect the Center by keeping information concerning Operations, patients and employees confidential.
- Assist in the care, observation, and the condition of patients including the execution of procedures prescribed for the direct treatment or therapy of patients.
- Performance of job requires close coordination with others. Team work is essential.
- Participation in community activities as a representative of Bucksport Regional Health Center.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by the Incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel, including operation of a standard computer keyboard; reach with hands and arms and talk, see and hear; prolonged standing is required. Eye hand coordination and manual dexterity required. The employee must regularly lift/move up to 25 pounds, including assisting with moving patients, as well as bend, stoop, stretch or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Knowledge and adherence with proper ergonomic requirements for dental hygiene required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in a typical dental office environment. Noise level is usually quiet.
Potential exposure to hazardous and infectious materials, including blood borne pathogens.
QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED FOR POSITION:
Experience and Skill Requirements: The following experience and skills are considered essential:
" A minimum of three years of experience as a Dental Hygienist strongly preferred.
" Demonstrated knowledge of proper policies and procedures, including ergonomics, for dental hygiene required.
" Experience with the electronic medical record software preferred (eCW or similar).
" Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
" Ability to communicate and present information.
" Ability to read, interpret, and apply clinical policies and procedures.
" Ability to identify problems and recommend solutions.
" Ability to establish priorities and coordinate work activities.
Education Requirements: The following education requirements are considered essential:
" Associate's Degree in Dental Hygiene, certification as a Registered Dental Hygienist, and licensed with the State of Maine Dental Board required. Bachelor's Degree in Dental Hygiene preferred.
" Possession of local anesthetic license and radiology license also required.
" CPR Certification required.
* Medical Benefits
* Dental Benefits
* Life Insurance
* 401 K and Match
* Health Savings Account
* Holiday Pay
* Sam's Club