- Position Summary
The Patient Navigator will support safe patient and family centered care at MMC by meeting the specialized needs of neuroscience patients as they progress through a wide variety of health care settings. In fulfilling this role, the Patient Navigator will work closely with key neuroscience providers (both within the hospital and community at large) to identify any barriers and resource opportunities related to the care of neuroscience patients. This position will focus on the neurosurgical spine patient population including sharing and developing pre and post-operative education but will function on a team with an emphasis on cross coverage. Patient conditions covered by the Navigator team include: brain tumor and neuro oncology, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, complicated craniotomies; neuromuscular and other chronic neurological disease; spine and related pain; and patients/families with multiple subspecialty physicians or otherwise fragmented care. This role provides significant inpatient support and communication for patients and their providers as well as the development and ongoing participation in outpatient services such as patient population based support groups, annual conferences, education, and outreach.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Current license to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in the State of Maine.
- Bachelor Degree in related discipline; Master's Degree preferred.
- Experience working with neurosciences patients in a variety of inpatient, outpatient and community based care settings.
- Evidence of ongoing education to maintain appropriate licensing.
- Highly resourceful, flexible and compassionate.
- Knowledgeable about the breadth and accessibility of community resources.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal and organizational skills and be able to function in an independent fashion in a complex health care environment.
- Creative problem-solving techniques/skills.
- Computer proficiency.