Job Title: Engineer - Protection & Control
Salary range: NY $85- 100k , CT $95k- 106K for qualified candidates.
Responsible for the design, configuration, maintenance and renewal of automation, data collection, protection & control equipment subsystems on AVANGRID’s electric delivery infrastructure in New England (Central Maine Power and United Illuminating) and New York (NYSEG and RG&E). AVANGRID’s electric delivery system is approximately 8,600 miles of transmission lines and 1,000 substations.
Engineering activities for electric transmission and substation system protection projects to ensure safe, timely and cost-effective completion. Conduct analysis, develop estimates and apply engineering standards and criteria to drive the completion of projects. Coordinate with other departments, vendors, and consultants in order to complete projects in a timely and cost effective manner.
Ensure all protection system designs meet applicable company, local, state, and national codes and standards (NESC, FERC, NERC, NPCC, NYISO, ISO-NE, NY PSC, ME PUC, CT PUC, etc.).
1. Perform engineering design, estimating, and analysis of the electric transmission and substation protection systems in support of the capital construction programs. Perform engineering calculations and analysis. Review and approve detailed protection system designs, including settings, developed both internally and by engineering consultants.
2. Review and approve work of engineering contractors who provide automation engineering and design services to ensure compliance with company standards, specifications, and contract requirements. Develop technical specifications, standards, contracts and purchase orders. Direct engineering contractors and consultants performing system automation & integration roles.
3. Analyze distribution fault event operations to ensure protection scheme operated as intended. Develop and provide clear and concise fault analysis reports to management depicting corrective actions and lessons learned when necessary.
4. Management of compliance programs applicable to substation assets. Act as subject matter expert during audits.
5. Travel to worksites on an as needed basis.
Skills and Requirements
- Education & Experience Required:
- 4 years of experience in Engineering or 1 year of experience in Protection & Control
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering / Technology.
- MS in Engineering preferred.
- Successful Completion of Fundamentals of Engineering Exam preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of power system analysis and fundamentals of equipment protection.
- Knowledge of national and international standards, regulations, and compliance requirements associated with power system protection.
- Experience with power system protection applications such as ASPEN OneLiner, ASPEN Line Database.
- Knowledge of IEC-61850 standards.
- Knowledge of FERC/NERC/NPCC and state regulations.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Strong Electrical Design Experience.
- Able to perform protection coordination analysis.
- Proficiency and fluency in power system protection theory, application, standards, design, test, commissioning, and analysis.
- Be a role model
- Be agile
- Collaborate and Share
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Focus to achieve results
- Technical Skills
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables