Northern Light Health
Department: Patient Access Management
Position is located: Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center
Work Type: PRN
Work Schedule: Variable
Registration representatives are often the first point of contact upon patient arrival and are required to have excellent customer service skills. This position will input patient information received in person or over the phone, to update the hospital system for patient demographic, insurance, financial obligation, or appointment related data for a variety of practice and hospital services.
- Greets visitors and patients in person, or communicates by telephone or video conferencing, upholding excellent customer service.
- Enters and updates patient demographic and financial information, ensuring the patient is fully registered as early in the process as possible.
- Obtains appropriate applications and forms, confirming signatures are on file. Photocopies/scans documents as needed.
- Provides patients with financial responsibility information and collects patient liabilities, documents amounts in the appropriate fields, and balances the cash box daily. Works with partnering departments (Financial Counseling, Scheduling, Financial Clearance, and clinical areas) to ensure all aspects of the patient's encounter are completed as needed.
- Provides wayfinding instructions and assist with hospital information as requested.
- Coordinates patient admission needs, bed assignments, and tracking boards where applicable.
- Meets or exceeds audit accuracy standards. Works worklists and error reports timely, and proactively seeks assistance to resolve as needed.
- Maintains a safe environment complying with NLH policies and procedures; reports and directly addresses environmental hazards and violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
- May perform other duties upon request.
Competencies and skills:
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* No previous experience required.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
* Potential exposure to abusive and/or aggressive people.
* Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.
* Potential exposure to noxious odors.
* Potential exposure to very hot or cold temperatures.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
* Continuous sitting.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status