Job Posting End Date: September 28
When you join the team at Unum, you become part of an organization committed to helping you thrive.
Here, we work to provide the employee benefits and service solutions that enable employees at our client companies to thrive throughout life’s moments. And this starts with ensuring that every one of our team members enjoys opportunities to succeed both professionally and personally. To enable this, we provide:
- Award-winning culture
- Inclusion and diversity as a priority
- Performance Based Incentive Plans
- Competitive benefits package that includes: Health, Vision, Dental, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Generous PTO (including paid time to volunteer!)
- Up to 9.5% 401(k) employer contribution
- Mental health support
- Career advancement opportunities
- Student loan repayment options
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work environments
*All the benefits listed above are subject to the terms of their individual Plans.
And that’s just the beginning…
With 10,000 employees helping more than 39 million people worldwide, every role at Unum is meaningful and impacts the lives of our customers. Whether you’re directly supporting a growing family, or developing online tools to help navigate a difficult loss, customers are counting on the combined talents of our entire team. Help us help others, and join Team Unum today!
General Summary:The Senior Underwriter will demonstrate strong risk evaluation, selection and retention of profitable business within assigned authority limits. This also requires a strong ability to partner with Company sales teams, brokers and all internal partners.Existing remote employees are eligible to apply.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Consult with sales and service partners to provide the products and plan options that best meet the needs of our customers.
- Evaluate and select risk to ensure the profitable acquisition of new cases and the continued profitable retention of in force cases.
- Conduct high quality risk assessments on all cases to assure business guidelines, target profit and metrics are met. Identify and analyze risk trends, making recommendations for addressing these
- Maintain a fully developed knowledge of the Company’s products, the sales, implementation, and enrollment processes, and market place influences
- Deliver dependable, accurate, and timely service while maintaining relationships with internal and external partners
- Assist with training, technical development and mentoring more junior underwriters
- Bachelors degree or equivalent, relevant business experience
- Demonstrated, consistent proficiency at Underwriter level
- Fully developed knowledge of product provisions, plan designs, pricing and contractual benefits
- Strong technical expertise in risk selection
- Demonstrated understanding of top-line and bottom-line objectives
- Exhibit strong knowledge of sales/distribution process and market trends
- Solid mentoring and coaching skills
- Strong creative problem solving skills
- Strong critical thinking/analytical reasoning skills
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple priorities
- Strong ability to be persuasive and to negotiate
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Exhibit a strong commitment to quality and personal ownership of results
Unum and Colonial Life are part of Unum Group, a Fortune 500 company and leading provider of employee benefits to companies worldwide. Headquartered in Chattanooga, TN, with international offices in Ireland, Poland and the UK, Unum also has significant operations in Portland, ME, and Baton Rouge, LA - plus over 35 US field offices. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, SC, with over 40 field offices nationwide.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.$53,300.00-$95,900.00
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.