Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company — not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we’re excited about what’s next. Join us.
General Summary:Unum is seeking a dynamic and results-driven IT professional to lead our Total Leave/Absence platform delivery team. This is a great opportunity to promote a culture of creativity, innovation, and agility while mentoring and coaching team members to reach new heights of excellence.The IT Delivery Manager leads a collaborative team of IT professionals responsible for achieving the software/solutions/services delivery commitments. This role will be responsible for guiding and evaluating the overall delivery of our team, ensure a well-defined backlog of valuable work, and remove obstacles that may hinder team performance. This role works with product owners or other relevant partners and IT leadership to ensure that there is a steady flow of valuable solutions coming from the team.The IT Delivery Manager develops, mentors, and coaches team members while promoting and facilitating their professional development and ensures plans are in place to elevate the performance of the team. The ideal candidate is an assertive and hands-on professional who thrives in a fast paced, change rich environment. T Delivery Manager success is measured by, but not limited to, meeting delivery commitment, maintaining budget, and team engagement and development.This is a hybrid position located in Portland, ME, Chattanooga TN, or Atlanta, GA.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science preferred, or relevant technical experience.
- 6+ years of experience in an IT field, or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Proven experience leading software development or IT delivery teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the technical delivery of work from ideation to post delivery.
- Software development or technology background with strong knowledge of relevant technical disciplines.
- Extensive industry knowledge of claims, insurance, benefits, leave of absence.
- Extensive knowledge/understanding of Agile/Scrum methodologies.
- Proficient in methods and techniques for running effective meetings and for understanding and influencing the roles played by participants.
- Working knowledge of FINEOS is a plus.
- ?Demonstrated ability to uncover risks and issues, able to see linkages and dependencies across projects.
- Exhibits courage by taking smart risks and encouraging others to do so; empowers innovative approaches by motivating others to be proactive and resourceful.
- Able to effectively coach, mentor, and identify and address skills needs and gaps.
- Displays good interpersonal skills at all levels of contact in a wide variety of situations, demonstrating the ability to listen and influence, and to relate to customers in their own language.
- Demonstrates the ability to champion change and support teams through change.
- Demonstrates the ability to think critically, challenge conventional thinking, and generate and apply unique business insight to create a competitive advantage for the organization.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Is responsible for, oversees and evaluates the overall delivery of the team and acts to address issues when necessary.
- Ensures the team has a well-defined backlog of valuable work.
- For Agile teams, helps the product owner and team members to prioritize initiatives and sprint releases.
- Removes obstacles and roadblocks that impact the performance of the team.
- For Agile teams, works with business partners and team to translate the business strategy or roadmap into backlog items.
- For Agile teams, ensures that the team(s) apply the best software engineering practices including, but not limited to: test driven development, peer reviews, continuous integration and deployment practices, unit and regression test automation, comprehensive approach to addressing NFR, adherence to standards, comprehensive ‘definition of done,’ team retrospectives, etc.
- For Infrastructure and Operations teams, ensures that we benchmark against associated services to keep service delivery and support at an appropriate cost.
- Demonstrates creativity and innovation in applying solutions for the benefit of the customer/stakeholder; promotes same within team.
- Uses metrics and tools to understand team performance and efficiency; takes actions to improve the efficiency of the team.
- Works with their manager to ensure strong and diverse talent is in place to meet business needs and goals.
- Mentors, coaches, and inspires team members to higher levels of performance. Ensures development plans are focused on enhancing skills and expertise needed within the team. This includes 1-on-1 situational coaching towards results, experimentation and learning.
- Identifies and addresses skills gaps in the team that may impact its ability to meet business needs.
- Identifies and promotes pairing/cross training opportunities to enrich the expertise of the team and limit constraints or deficits of specific skills across the organization.
- Develops a self-organizing team (cross-functioning, partners with the business, collaborative, works quickly and unencumbered, be empowered and autonomous, be able to focus on self-improvement) and supports the management activities that make self-organization successful.
- Conducts regular reviews of each team member’s plan and ensures the team member is progressing and addressing skill development needs.
- Works with colleagues to review the operation and effectiveness of resourcing programs within the organization and contributes ideas for changes and improvements as appropriate.
- May serve in a Scrum or Kanban Master role.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of a broad range of emerging technology trends and identifies opportunities where technology might be deployed to deliver business improvements and competitive advantage.
- Reinforces agile values by focusing on the highest business value items.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
The base salary range for applicants for this position is listed below. Unless actual salary is indicated above in the job description, actual pay will be based on skill, geographical location and experience.$89,400.00-$174,800.00
Additionally, Unum offers a portfolio of benefits and rewards that are competitive and comprehensive including healthcare benefits (health, vision, dental), insurance benefits (short & long-term disability), performance-based incentive plans, paid time off, and a 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match up to 5% and an additional 4.5% contribution whether you contribute to the plan or not. All benefits are subject to the terms and conditions of individual Plans.