SUMMARY: The licensed practical nurse assists the registered nurse in the delivery of nursing care, assisting in the resident care planning, implementation, and assessment of care. The LPN serves as resource nurse on each shift assigned.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Additional duties as needed to meet unit and system wide objectives
- Demonstrates knowledge of and functions within the limits of New Hampshire Nurse Practice Act, and hospital and unit policies and procedures.
- Assists in assessing physical, psychological and social dimensions of the residents.
- Actively participates in plan of care process for each individual resident.
- Participates in implementing the plan of care for residents.
- Assists in evaluation of nursing care provided.
- Utilizes nursing process in accordance with established policies and procedures of the hospital and the Merriman House.
- Administers medications under the supervision of a registered nurse; administers oral, intramuscular and subcutaneous medications.
- Supervises and assists in giving direct care to residents consistent with individual nursing care plans; performs treatments and procedures; employs proper techniques, procedures and safety precautions in accordance with provider orders.
- Guides, directs and assists nurses’ aides in carrying out assigned care.
- Observes resident condition and records pertinent information in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Reports significant change in resident’s condition or behavior, and/or unusual incidents to Director of Nursing and/or Administrator, NCM, families, legal representatives and providers.
- Effectively communicates essential information at shift report.
- Transcribes and executes providers written orders, consistent with established policies.
- Assists with resident education, family instruction, consistent with individual care plan.
- Keeps resident information confidential and respects resident’s right to privacy and dignity.
- Establishes and maintains effective interpersonal relationships with residents, families, visitors, co-workers and providers.
- Participates in unit activity programs as appropriate and requested by Activities Coordinator or assistant.
- Assists in maintaining a clean, safe environment for residents and co-workers.
- Performs related projects administrative and/or technical as needed and/or requested.
- Assumes responsibility for own continuing education needs, participating in appropriate in service programs, and seeking out other educational opportunities for own growth.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, hospital functions and in service programs as appropriate.
- In resource nurse position, assumes responsibility for overall day-to-day operation of Merriman House, including all aspects of nursing care, policy/procedure compliance, appropriate staffing coverage and environmental safety; communicates needs and/or problems to the appropriate person and/or department.
- Assists in orientation, direction, guidance of co-workers, striving for excellence in resident care and to ensure safety and wellbeing.
- Assists in evaluation of nursing personnel.
- Interprets resident’s rights and responsibilities to residents and/or resident families and co-workers.
- Demonstrates annual competencies.
- Maintain current industry involvement and knowledge through participation in committees and attendance at educational programs, in services and staff meetings. Maintain required annual continuing education credits to satisfy licensing regulations.