About the Opportunity
Northeastern University’s Roux Institute is designed as an engine of innovation, talent-building, and economic growth for Portland, Maine, and northern New England. Partnerships set our model of graduate education and research apart. With leading companies and nonprofit organizations at the table from day one, we are creating programs that are preparing the workforce to stay agile and thrive in a competitive landscape powered by artificial intelligence. We are nurturing an environment for high-impact research and innovation in computer and data science, digital engineering, the advanced life sciences and medicine, and other tech fields. And we are helping entrepreneurs launch businesses focused on and powered by technology. Together, we envision an “innovation corridor” that in the coming years will stretch from Boston to Portland and beyond.
As a Business Development Manager, you will identify new partnerships specifically for the Roux Institute’s customized learning practice with programs in data analytics, AI and ML, and project management. You will identify new learning engagement opportunities, qualify them, and close them. The right candidate will possess a variety of sales skills including relationship building, collaborative selling, and creative problem solving.
This is a strategic business development role where you will hunt for and build relationships with strategic partners from New England, Maine, national and international companies to bridge the gap between higher education and the corporate world. Your role is to uncover business problems associated with strategic plans of partners and design and co-create learning solutions with faculty at Northeastern University.
This role combines the dynamic “we will learn as we go” nature of a start-up – our custom learning enterprise is its third year – with the institutional power and backing of Northeastern University. You will constantly be able to learn and grow your own knowledge and expertise, while delivering results that increase revenue and contribute to the innovation and long-term economic development of Maine and the region.
The role requires you to interface with executive-level leaders as well as data practitioners, so understanding your audience and tailoring your message accordingly is paramount. You will be joining a newly formed unit within the larger partnerships team comprised of individuals who wear many hats, and you’ll be asked to take on a wide range of responsibilities within the business development function.
The core key performance indicator for this role is developing and delivering new learning engagements with net new partners that carry an associated revenue target. You will be selling custom learning solutions. Each opportunity is different, so an ability to understand the prospect’s needs (stated or unstated) and connect them with the right program is crucial.
- Meet and exceed revenue targets
- Design, develop, and execute business development plan and strategies for the region
- Identify and close new learning engagements
- Meet regularly with industry prospects and client partners, both virtually and in person (no more than 15% travel time required)
- Work closely with Northeastern University colleges, partnership teams, and product teams to drive customer satisfaction and continually improve offerings
- Connect prospects and client partners with the right Northeastern University resources
- Create, design and present proposals and written Statements of Work
- Understand custom learning offerings and identify the best ways to articulate their value to potential partners
- Document and communicate business development efforts in meetings and via tools such as Salesforce
The successful candidate will possess the following skills, dispositions, experience, and qualifications.
- B.A. required; master’s preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of professional work experience
- 3 or more years of B2B solution selling experience, preferably in advanced technology or corporate learning
- Strong understanding of how to navigate large organizations to drive deals to close
- Agility, creativity, self-sufficiency, and clear communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to achieve revenue targets in a B2B sales environment
- Ability to build long-term value-driven relationships with stakeholders at partner organizations.
- Excellent problem-solving and strong analytical skills with proven ability to strategize and prioritize to meet goals and deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, sufficient to inspire others and work effectively and collaboratively with colleagues
- Strong oral and written communication skills; the ability to write clearly and concisely (e.g. a proposal)
- A strong sense of personal accountability to take engagements across the finish line
- The ability to adjust priorities quickly and efficiently
- The ability to develop authentic relationships rooted in the achievement of mutual goals
- A drive to succeed
- Excellent judgement
- A culturally responsive mindset
- The ability to cultivate positive relationships across lines of difference
- A commitment to Maine and its people
- A sense of humor and enthusiasm
Preferred Skills, Experience
- Project Management
- Existing relationships with data practitioners and industry leaders is desirable
Travel Requirement (up to 15% time)
- You will be required to travel, mostly regionally, to meet strategically important prospects
- You may be required to travel to Boston a few days a month for meetings at Northeastern’s Boston and Burlington campuses
- There is limited travel further afield to meet companies who wish to move offices to Maine or to visit Northeastern regional campuses
Location: Maine preferred. Candidates located in Massachusetts, Vermont, or New Hampshire will also be considered.
The Roux Institute is strongly committed to fostering excellence through diversity and recognizes the strength that diversity in all its forms brings to the research endeavor. We invite applications from all qualified candidates and enthusiastically welcome applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
Position TypeGeneral Administration
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University’s commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.