Job Posting End Date: 07/09
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:This is the entry level of a two level career path. Work is performed according to established procedures under considerable supervision. This position requires solid knowledge of Unum products and processes as well as the ability to process a variety of products and types of business.
This position is an important and key contributor to building customer loyalty which drives positive persistency and maintains financial integrity by making coverage and administrative changes within multiple legacy systems in support of achieving top and bottom line growth objectives for Unum. Incumbents will be responsible for providing highly responsive, quality coverage administration.
This position provides support for internal and external customers both by researching and resolving issues and by processing coverage changes across multiple systems. By demonstrating excellent, timely customer service, incumbents in this position are brand ambassadors for Unum. Therefore, this position is an important and key contributor to building customer loyalty which helps to drive positive persistency.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for making accurate coverage and administrative changes within multiple legacy systems
- Creation of billing records may be required
- Work effectively and collaboratively with internal partners to ensure service standards and customer needs are met. Research and respond with timely, complete, and accurate information
- Responsible for coverage administration solutions that meet customer expectations; May provide options in collaboration with Field/Home Office partners and the customer which contribute to driving top and bottom line growth
- Identify business trends and refer to others as appropriate for further action
- May be required to analyze various daily, weekly and monthly reports and data to take appropriate action
- Actively seeks opportunities to implement changes which improve workflow, accuracy reduce operating costs, timeliness, productivity and customer satisfaction
- Contribute to team and individual accountabilities in order to meet service and quality expectations
- Responsible for the servicing of customer and internal partner requests to include outbound calls, email inquiries, service requests and general mail
- Proactively seeks and proposes recommendations and solutions with confidence
- May be required to ensure contract/booklet/certificate compliance with state and federal legislation and established risk and administrative rules
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent, relevant business experience required
- Solid customer service orientation with demonstrated commitment to meet/exceed customer needs
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills (phone skill, verbal and written).
- Ability to make sound business decisions, which balance customer satisfaction and financial integrity
- Solid partnering skills which contribute to building relationships with partners and other service team members; Displays team-oriented skills
- Ability to adapt and work effectively in a continuously changing environment. Able to multi-task and prioritize appropriately when competing demands and large volumes develop
- Solution oriented individual demonstrating good investigative, research and problem solving skills
- Skilled in negotiation, conflict management and influencing others
- Proficiency on systems and processes particular to the employee’s specific area
- Self-directed ability to work in fast paced environment, both as part of team and individually
- Ability to seek out developmental opportunities and continuously improve skills
- Consistently demonstrate a high level of professionalism through a strong worth ethic that positively influences the work habits of the team
- Solid working knowledge of Unum’s group, VB or SU product portfolio and contractual provisions
- Detail oriented with a focus on quality and consistently meeting goals
- Solid keying skills and technologically proficient on PC applications
- Solid mathematical aptitude and analytical skills
- Demonstrates solid organizational skill
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.