This is a half-time coordination position to support the compliance agenda and goals of the HIPAA Privacy Officer and collaborate across university entities serving patients, academic departments and offices to ensure HIPAA compliance for UNE, overseen by the Office of Research and Scholarship.
- Coordinate regular HIPAA policies and procedures review process.
- Perform literature searches, review HIPAA legislation, rules and laws, summarize and review HIPAA regulations, publications and information relevant to the HIPAA compliance committee.
- Review and revise UNE HIPAA training content annually.
- Serve as official designee for the HIPAA Privacy Officer’s duties during vacation, illness, or personal leave.
- Coordinate and support UNE’s Privacy Officer in HIPAA investigations.
- Gather, enter, compile, analyze and maintain HIPAA site visit data, breach notifications and other reportable information in accordance with the UNE HIPAA Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Assist HIPAA Privacy Officer in annual required risk assessments and site visits of covered entities.
- Coordinate, track and report annual HIPAA training needs and completion data to various academic and non-academic departments, covered entity sites and HR.
- Prepare, communicate and upload student cohorts for HIPAA training in Blackboard and generate HIPAA certificates.
- Track HIPAA budget, monitor and process expenses.
- Plan and organize HIPAA related meetings, i.e. regular HIPAA compliance committee meetings; prepare and distribute agendas, minutes and meeting documents when applicable.
- Generate HIPAA compliance reports for the Board of Trustees, HIPAA compliance committee and other regulatory agencies as requested.
- Organize and maintain various HIPAA files and records, frequently involving cross filing/cross-referencing systems.
- Periodically update UNE HIPAA website, Notice of Privacy Practices and other HIPAA documents as needed.
- Prepare/coordinate HIPAA mailings, communication, material and documents.
- Establish and/or maintain HIPAA relevant professional memberships for UNE staff.
Bachelor’s degree in field related to health or social services, or other appropriate discipline, plus three years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Experience in health-related practice, education, or training preferred.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Blackboard required.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills. Experience in organizing and maintaining moderately complex filing and records systems and Excel databases.
- Good reading, spelling/grammar and general writing and math skills.
- Effective planning, organization, and time management skills. Must adhere to training and department deadlines.
- Ability to effectively communicate and coordinate with a wide variety of University personnel, students, and/or outside individuals/organizations.
- Previous UNE experience desirable.