Are you looking to apply your business and technical skills in a creative and impactful way? Do you want to be part of a team who shares your passion for helping to create a strong Maine economy by supporting small businesses, workforce development, good jobs and environmental sustainability? Are you interested in building a career in small business finance?
Then we want to hear from you…
CEI’s mission is to help grow good jobs, environmentally sustainable enterprises, and shared prosperity in Maine and in rural regions across the country by integrating financing, business and industry expertise, and policy solutions. We have an exciting career opportunity with growth potential for someone who is passionate about the intersection of community development, business and finance.
Working with a senior team mentor, the Associate Loan and Investment Officer (“ALO”) reviews and assesses financing requests from a wide variety of companies, cooperatives, developers, and nonprofit organizations in accordance with CEI’s mission-driven lending philosophy. They will have the opportunity to work with borrowers in a comprehensive fashion, from marketing to potential customers and partnering organizations, to evaluating, structuring, and closing loan requests, to managing an existing portfolio of loans. . This result is a dynamic work environment, regular learning opportunities, and tangible support for Maine businesses.
This is a full-time 40 hour per week position with benefits. The position is based in our LEED platinum office in downtown Brunswick but will serve clients and communities throughout the state.
Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Business Development - markets CEI and its financing programs to potential customers, bankers, funders and other partners. Speaks to potential customers making inquiries about loan and financing programs. Represents CEI at local, state and national events from time to time.
2. Underwriting and Approval - works with a senior lender and credit analyst to assess, package, and present financing requests. Provides applicants with information on loan structuring, business planning, and delivers limited technical assistance. Works closely with CEI Program and Business Development staff to meet CEI’s social mission and strategic plan objectives.
3. Loan Closing - gathers required documentation in advance of loan closings. Coordinates with customers, other lenders, legal counsel, CEI Loan Services and Accounting. May serve as a Closing Agent for other lenders’ transactions during training.
4. Portfolio Management - manages and monitors existing loan portfolio, including completion of annual reviews. Services existing accounts, handling requests for additional financing, troubleshooting, etc. Supports Director of Loan Quality and Compliance with delinquent accounts.
5. General - participate in training and professional development opportunities. May be appointed to assist or lead special projects and support process, policy, or product innovation, such as conducting research into new loan products or improving data analytics.
Qualifications and Skills
Qualified candidates will have a passion for business and community economic development. The individual must be results-driven, curious, and willing to learn. She/he will have the proven ability to work collaboratively and foster strong relationships with clients and colleagues. Excellent time management, critical thinking, and organizational skills are a must. Attention to detail and competence in writing and math are also important.
Qualified candidates will have a degree in business or related field. Equivalent combination of education and relevant experience may be considered as a substitute for formal education. Interest in the non-profit sector is important. Exposure to/understanding of finance/lending or community development finance is a plus, though prior lending experience is not required.
Application Deadline - September 30, 2019
When applying, please submit a cover letter that details your interest in this position, CEI’s mission, and why building a strong and equitable Maine economy resonates with you. Cover letters are required in addition to your current resume.