Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
Unum is looking for a few talented MBA students for the Summer 2018! This position requires a unique balance of technical, data science expertise and a business strategist mindset. In this role you will be responsible for leveraging a broad array of data sources and analytical tools/techniques to deliver data driven insights. You will work cross-functionally with business partners, senior leadership, and creative teams to translate these insights into actionable market growth opportunities.
Responsibilities and highlights
- Proactively partnering with the business to provide actionable insights and identify growth opportunities; communicate analysis to obtain buy in and drive decision making.
- Lead analytics projects to capture and utilize data to identify, define, and predict behavior of key segments (broker, employer and consumer) that will optimize the marketing and sales performance.
- Extract and transform data from existing data stores to create data assets and perform analyses
- Identify and explore new external data sources
- Apply statistical, predictive modeling and data mining methods
- Collect feedback and stay in-sync with the challenges and the opportunities throughout program.
- Participate in an internship where your fresh, outside perspective will be valued.
- Have access to frequent networking opportunities with senior leaders.
- Enrolled in a top MBA Marketing program; prior marketing experience preferred
- Self-starter with a healthy degree of initiative, ideally entrepreneurs motivated to make a difference in an established company
- Strong analytical skills, ideally including R or Python, and/or other business intelligence and data visualization tools
- Ability to synthesize information from disparate secondary and primary sources, and distill findings into strategic insights and practical recommendations, including strategic, financial, and operational analysis
- Ability to decompose complex analytical and technical problems and translate them into simple business situations to be presented to key stakeholders
- Cultivate valuable relationships with business partners – own the business as if it were your own - establish credibility and trust with the ability to stand behind and deliver on business objectives
- Internship located in Portland, Maine
- Open to international students; Unum sponsors international students for full-time roles
How to apply
Interested candidates should click on the following link to go directly to the online posting to apply: https://unum.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Portland-ME/MBA-Marketing-Intern_807232
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.