Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center
Department: Interventional Services
Position is located: Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center
Work Type: PRN / shifts as needed
FTE: 0.000100: work shifts as needed
Work Schedule: 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM
POSITION SUMMARY: The IR Technologist is responsible for coordinating the patient flow to obtain requested imaging studies in a fast paced environment. This is achieved through order verification, Quality Assurance of the imaging equipment, proper patient identification and obtaining appropriate imaging following approved policies and protocols. This is to include proper patient preparation and education which may begin prior to the patient arrival. The technologist will be involved in part of a procedural team. The technologist will assist the physicians with procedures. The technologist will treat patients of all age groups which includes infancy, pediatrics, adults and geriatrics. The technologist must be knowledgeable of age specific protocols. The technologist must be flexible to cover a variety of shifts with weekend, holiday and non-restricted call duties required as needed.
- Communicates regularly with patients, physicians, peers and other health care providers to maximize successful patient outcomes and efficient, effective departmental operations.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with all health care team members.
- Works cooperatively with co-workers to maximize function of the unit.
- Fosters a positive attitude in the work place by remaining focused on work and building team relationships.
- Remains flexible and willingly accepts changes in assignments and scheduled hours.
- Promotes a positive work environment and sets an example for collaborative practice.
- Serves as a role model and resource for staff. Provides assistance to other team members.
- Assists in the orientation and training of new employees.
- Acts as role model and resource for other staff members regarding principles of radiation safety.
- Meets expectations with performance of "AIDET": Acknowledges and introduces self to patients/customers, educates patient about the procedure, provides explanations and thanks patients for using our service.
- Strives to improve intradepartmental and interdepartmental communications to facilitate total quality care of the patient.
- Interacts effectively with patients and families to promote customer satisfaction.
- Provides for patient's physical comfort, privacy and emotional needs.
- Makes a deliberate and conscientious effort to meet the requests of customers.
- Practices service recovery. Anticipates and alleviates situations which could result in patient/customer complaints.
- Educates the patient about the procedure, providing explanations to patient's questions as needed.
- Protects patient confidentiality per EMMC's policies.
- Participates with the team in providing for all aspects of efficient and thorough room set-up and turnover.
- Assists team members in all aspects of patient care and departmental operations as allowed by license and demonstrated competency.
- Verifies patient identification by two methods, and documents on appropriate form.
- Determines that informed consent has been obtained when indicated.
- Assures that a Licensed Practitioner has ordered the exam via confirmation of written order or verbal order. Seeks clarification of unclear orders from physician or supervisor. Documents order verification.
- Adapts procedures for atypical patients of all ages, is knowledgeable of their care and age-related equipment.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of the operation of all equipment. Maintains equipment in a clean and orderly environment. Ensures completion and evaluation of all equipment QC tests required.
- Reports equipment malfunctions, abnormal / unsafe conditions to supervisor promptly.
- Reports patient incidents immediately. Participates in developing follow-up action plans as necessary.
- Follows safe radiation practices, minimizing patient and personnel exposure. Wears radiation monitoring badges as determined by Radiation Safety Officer and departmental policy.
- Follows EMMC's Infection Control policies and guidelines for Universal Precautions
- Ensures quality and continuity of patient care by proper use of the PACS system with accurate data input which includes patient medical record number and request accession numbers.
- Operates within the framework of existing departmental policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of disaster plan. Participates in mock disaster drills. Knows and follows Dr. STAT and Code Red procedures. Completes annual fire safety and hazardous materials inservice.
- Provides comprehensive documentation and maintains accurate charts and records.
- Maintains a current knowledge of supplies used during the procedure, their location and indications for use.
- Shares responsibility for maintaining inventory of supplies, through compliance with departmental procedures and thorough, accurate documentation.
- Participates in the evaluation of new products.
- Insures that room and equipment are operational prior to the start of each procedure.
- Demonstrate the technical skills and knowledge necessary to perform high quality, diagnostic cardiac imaging.
- Performs imaging procedures following department protocols.
- Evaluates finished images for quality, adherence to department protocols, artifacts, etc.
- CVT Role CVT Functions (applies if cross-trained) ?
- Demonstrates knowledge of basic EKG recognition and arrhythmia detection. Informs physician of any EKG changes.
- "Performs hemodynamic analysis including:
- Ejection fraction calculation
- Analysis and measurement of all pressure tracings
- Quantifies gradients and calculates valve areas
- Shunt calculations
- Calculates cardiac outputs, cardiac indexes and vascular resistances"
- Prepare patients for EKG monitoring and monitors leads which most appropriately reflect disease process.
- Recognizes EKG artifact and monitoring malfunctions and is able to trouble shoot and make appropriate adjustments.
- Monitors hemodynamics during procedures and is able to differentiate wave forms and recognize pressure changes and abnormal wave forms.
- Differentiates between abnormal pressure tracings due to physiologic causes and those related to equipment, transducer or catheter causes and makes appropriate adjustments.
- Records procedure log, providing thorough and accurate documentation of all technical aspects of procedure.
- Understands department financial goals and helps keep department expenses to a minimum. Actively seeks, suggests and supports ways to provide cost effective patient care.
- Uses supplies and equipment conscientiously, reducing waste and damage.
- Attends all mandatory inservices appropriate to area of practice.
- Obtains necessary continuing education to maintain certification and licensure in good standing.
- Attends 100% of staff meetings or reviews and initials minutes if unable to attend.
Licensed as Radiologic Technologist Required.
Competencies and skills:
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Develops Self and Others: Takes responsibility for engaging in professional self-development activities and programs. Strives to gain insight into their own values, strengths and weaknesses, interests and ambitions and takes action in order to enhance competencies and skills when possible. As a leader, encourages and guides employees towards growth opportunities to enhance performance and help them reach goals. Reviews and analyzes employees' strengths and weaknesses to distinguish their talents and development needs, and to ensure they are enhanced appropriately.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
* Radiologic Tech-Radiographer
* Associate's Degree
* Extend body and limbs to reach items.
* Lifting, moving and loading over 50 pounds.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status