Now more than ever, you can make a difference in the small business community in Maine.
Do you have a background in accounting? Are you looking to apply your skills in an impactful way? Want to be part of a team who shares your passion for helping to create a strong Maine economy by supporting small businesses, workforce development, good jobs and environmental sustainability?
Then we want to hear from you…
CEI’s mission is to help grow good jobs, environmentally sustainable enterprises, and shared prosperity in Maine and in rural regions across the country by integrating financing, business and industry expertise, and policy solutions.
The Fund Accountant I Provides accounting and regulatory support for CEI’s program teams such as Food Systems, Fisheries, Workforce Development, Business Development and Housing Counseling. This role collaborates with Director of Accounting and program managers to ensure accurate and timely budgeting and reporting for assigned programs.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our teams have shifted to working remotely from home. Reliable internet access will be required for this role. CEI continues to monitor the COVID-19 crisis. When it is safe to make the transition back to our offices, we will do so in compliance with federal and state CDC guidelines and with a specific plan in place that ensures the safety of our staff and clients. We will conduct all interviews via Skype for everyone's safety and comfort.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Responsible for internal and external reporting and analysis for assigned programs. Also responsible for supporting budget development for the programs, as well as monitoring results to ensure budgetary variance analysis and compliance with applicable regulations and policies.
• Assists with the preparation of the monthly financial statements, ensuring all funds are in balance for assigned programs.
• Responsible for federal, state, and private grant financial and compliance reporting.
• Provides accounting and regulatory support to program managers and others for grant proposals, ensuring compliance with grant requirements and any applicable federal or state regulations.
• Ensures timely and accurate draws from the various federal and state agencies for assigned programs.
• Provides support as required for all audits, financial and regulatory.
• Commitment and support of CEI’s mission and values.
Qualifications and Skills:
Qualified candidates will have a passion for accounting and compliance. This includes a keen attention to detail and accuracy coupled with the ability to self-direct and prioritize workload to ensure accurate and timely work product delivery. Additionally, to be successful in this role the individual must have strong analytic and problem-solving skills. She/he will have the proven ability to work collaboratively within teams and cross-departmentally; demonstrating competency and establishing trust.
Education and Experience:
Qualified candidates will have a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field and 5+ years of relevant experience - nonprofit or fund/grant accounting experience strongly preferred. Candidates must have experience with budget preparation and control, compliance, management and financial reporting in a diversified organization. Strong technical abilities using MS office systems, including high proficiency in Excel, Word and accounting software.
PLEASE NOTE: When applying, please submit a cover letter that details your interest in this position, CEI’s mission, and why building an equitable Maine economy resonates with you. Cover letters are in addition to your current resume. Failure to submit a cover letter will result in a delay in consideration of your candicacy.