Job Posting End Date: 06/16
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:This is the third level in a four level career path. This position is responsible for applying appropriate knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques in order to manage medium to large projects. Project activities include, but are not limited to, establishing clear and achievable objectives and planning and directing people to reach objectives while balancing competing demands for quality, scope, time, and cost, and adapting to different concerns and expectations of stakeholders. A professional project manager should be able to manage a project without extensive knowledge of the subject matter. This position is responsible for mentoring others and contributing to continual improvement of project management knowledge and skill at the company.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivers results for mid to large-size project initiatives within established timeframes and quality measures.
- Utilizes strong project management skills and the corporate standard system development methodology (or other industry methodology) to manage assigned projects.
- Direct resources on assigned projects and ensure clarity of project roles and responsibilities
- Identifies project stakeholders and manage communication with the project stakeholders.
- Consults with business leaders to translate a project idea into a defined project with goals, objectives and scope.
- Identifies resources needed, negotiates with people managers as required to lead project teams, ensuring clarity of project roles and responsibilities, so that all project plans are completed within defined timeframes, meeting objectives and strategic goals.
- Develops and implements communication and reporting mechanisms to manage issues, risks and timely delivery of initiative results. Translates project goals/objectives into a defined future state and project success measures that can be understood by project stakeholders, project team and others.
- Ensures business needs and objectives are effectively captured in functional and non-functional business requirements for a system and/or process/workflow.
- Oversees business requirements to meet expected business solutions and trace delivery of requirements through testing and final implementation, with mentoring by a more experienced project manager, as needed. General understanding of business requirement management and quality management in order to meet expected business solutions
- Manages project quality through activities such as conducting appropriate reviews, obtaining approvals, taking corrective action when necessary, with mentoring by a more experienced project manager, if applicable.
- Ensures that project documentation is complete, current and Knowledge Managed (KM) appropriately
- Articulate project management best practices with peer group and others at Unum, as applicable.
- Proactively establishes and maintains cooperative, productive partnerships on current project/deliverables.
- Promote the benefits of change and act as a catalyst for change within the organization, as well as adapts to changes imposed by others
- Organizes and guides the activities of the project team. Prioritizes tasks to meet deliverables and commitments on time. Ensures that project member’s time and experience is well utilized. Recommends alternatives/options to minimize any schedule delay.
- Shares project experience/knowledge and mentor others to help build project management skills
- Any combination of education or experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree with five years of project management experience.
- In depth knowledge/understanding of the corporate methodology and a broad understanding/awareness of other methodologies.
- Strong knowledge of logical data model/management.
- Strong understanding of Unum’s products and businesses preferred.
- Strong ability to work effectively in a dynamic, rapidly changing business and technical environment.
- Effectively uses technical project management tools
- Strong initiative and ability to set stretch goals.
- Strong ability to negotiate effectively with business and IT partners on business requirements and timeframes on mid-size initiatives.
- Strong ability to rally support among peers and work effectively within challenging situations.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to balance the need to gather detail with the need to solve the problem
- Strong general management skills including:
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Strong facilitation and elicitation skills
- Strong consultative advisory skills.
- Strong ability to effectively articulate difficult ideas and concepts through clear and concise verbal and/or written communication.
- Strong ability to identify and apply different communication mediums based on a content and audience at all levels (both internal and external to Unum) to achieve intended goal.
- Advanced PC skills required (Excel, Power Point, Word, etc.)
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.