Job Posting End Date: 10/18
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:This is an entry-level position within the Benefits Center. Incumbents in this role are considered trainees for a minimum of 9 months and are primarily responsible for learning and developing the skills, knowledge, and behaviors necessary to successfully adjudicate assigned claims, in accordance with our Claims Philosophy, with an expected duration/resolution of less than six months. This position works closely with a more seasoned resource(s) to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to effectively implement appropriate RTW strategies for their assigned cases that align with our Return to Work philosophy.
The Short Term Disability (STD) Unit is responsible for thorough, fair, objective and timely adjudication of short term disability claims. Claim management is based on the level of medical intervention appropriate for the characteristics of each claim. This position participates in a multi-week formal training program prior to being assigned and released to one of the STD Teams. The position retains a structured relationship with an assigned mentor(s) for a minimum 4 to 6-month period or until they are assessed as capable of managing their assigned caseloads independently. Typical assigned caseload at conclusion of formal training is generally 30- 40+ cases. Incumbents must demonstrate ability to effectively and independently manage assigned caseload of 80 to 100+ prior to movement to exempt level DBS role.
Mentor sign-off is required for all day-to-day claims activities until they are assessed as capable of managing their assigned caseloads independently. Manager (or designee) signs off on the key milestones of claims activity.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop an understanding and working knowledge of disability products, policies and contracts.
- Develop an understanding of the applicable contract/policy definitions of disability and relevant provisions, clauses, exclusions, riders and waivers as well as statutory requirements.
- Become familiar with reference materials and tools regarding medical, vocational and disability issues
- Develop an operating knowledge of the applicable disability claims system(s)
- Develop basic medical and technical claims skills and an understanding of claim practices and procedures.
- Develop skills, knowledge and awareness of tools & resources available to assist in developing effective RTW strategies on assigned claims.
- Timely and accurate adjudication of assigned STD claims
- Provide excellent customer service in accordance with our "Commitment of Service" and other organizational service standards.
- Ensure a timely and well communicated transfer process when transitioning integrated claims from STD to LTD, ensuring a coordinated and continuous claims experience to claimants.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate effective and efficient utilization of resources to achieve desired outcomes.
- Demonstrate effective and efficient telephone use.
- 4-year college degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Able to utilize claim investigative techniques to identify and evaluate claim information in a fair and objective manner.
- Detail oriented; able to analyze and research contract information
- Able to hold fast to fair and appropriate decisions even in the face of disagreement while being open to reconsider previous decisions based on new information.
- Demonstrated ability to make balanced decisions with the highest degree of integrity and fairness.
- Able to influence others in order to reach proper and constructive conclusion.
- PC skills are essential; ability to operate effectively in an imaged environment.
- Able to work with others in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and balance goals and priorities. Able to work effectively in a high volume environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Problem solving skills are essential.
- Basic math skills are essential.
- Adaptable to change.
- Operating knowledge of claim payment system(s) a plus.
- Medical background and/or Disability claim experience preferred.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.