Northern Light Laboratory
Department: Lab - General
Position is located: Riverside
Work Type: Full Time
FTE: 1.0 (40 hours per week)
Work Schedule: 3:00 PM to 1:30 AM
Provides customer service to patients and healthcare providers. Is responsible for receipt of specimens into laboratory. Processes specimen appropriately and performs preanalytical procedures based on specific test ordered and established protocols. Triages specimen for distribution to appropriate lab area. Performs data entry of lab orders
Provides quality customer service.
- Accurately relays test results and other information in a timely manner.
- Ability to communicate clearly and courteously with patients, clients, and co-workers, by telephone or in person. Deals with problems in a calm, professional manner.
- Must maintain a professional, courteous, respectful, cooperative and positive nature when dealing with patients, clients, physicians, etc. Must be willing to provide the highest level of customer service.
- Communicates effectively with co-workers and with manager. Provides constructive feedback in regard to improvement in our ability to meet the goals of Northern Light Laboratory.
Participates in competency assessment/continuing education activities.
- Completes mandatory training, reads, all required policy/procedure books yearly.
- Performs competency testing as administered; receives satisfactory rating.
- Attains a minimum of 8 CE’s annually; in 2 of the 4 Continuing Education categories.
- Participates in QI activities—collects data, identifies issues, and participates in resolutions.
Process samples appropriately
- Processes samples according to requested priority.
- Evaluates specimens for acceptability and appropriateness of the test request.
- Evaluates specimens for acceptable labeling/identification.
- Performs preanalytical procedures (e.g. centrifuging, splitting, freezing, etc.).
- Distributes samples to appropriate area for testing.
- Researches specimen type and quantity if test is unknown.
- Performs computer and clerical functions according to SOP.
- Enters information completely and accurately.
- Retrieves information.
- Communicates results or other information with the highest level of customer service.
- Trouble shoots process issues, printers, client information retrieval/entry systems, etc.
- Files reports and requisitions.
- Sorts envelopes and distributes lab reports.
- Maintains logs and other paperwork as required.
Participates in special Client Service functions/projects.
- Volunteers for projects.
- Acts as a resource for less senior staff.
- Flexible in accepting new assignments or duties.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Fosters Innovation: Employs and encourages the use of meaningful creativity in solving challenges. Proactively identifies opportunities and uses new approaches to enhance processes, systems and services. When appropriate, suggests or initiates new strategies, products, services, and markets.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
* Potential exposure to hazardous materials.
* Potential exposure to noxious odors.
* Continuous sitting.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status