Job Posting End Date: July 30
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, - and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:This leadership position is responsible for the development and implementation of the Benefits and Contact Center strategy, Digital Services, and Automation capabilities with support of the Unum US and Colonial Life business. This leadership role is accountable for creating an operating model that will deliver the growth, customer experience and productivity key performance indicators for the company. Objectives of this organization are to deliver a differentiated service experience that is of high quality and efficient. The candidate will work in a high volume, high transaction operation, recruit and develop strong talent and influence change through process improvement, operational management, and innovation across the enterprise. This position requires long range, strategic thinking combined with short-term execution with a focus on building integrated operations that provide high service levels with consistently decreasing unit costs. This position has responsibility for people budget of $27M.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides strategic leadership and oversight of Benefits and Contact Center. This includes Claims payments in excess of $7B per year and over 2M calls from policyholders and claimants across Disability, Life, Cancer, Critical Illness and Accident and Health products.
- Responsible for communications and stakeholder management with key leaders, particularly in the Benefit and Call Center operations.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of strategic initiatives, reengineering projects and digital/technology solutions that improve the productivity, efficiency, consistency and service levels.
- Drive partnership with IT to provide business direction and prioritization in the development of state-of-the-art technology tools necessary to deliver effective service and drive digital transformation of claims and contact center capabilities.
- Strategic partner and collaborator with the UUS Contact Center and leveraging shared services across the enterprise and UUS VB claims to ensure best practices are managed throughout.
- Advocate for and collaborate with senior leaders across the enterprise to influence strategic initiatives that reduce customer effort and improve operational effectiveness while effectively reducing unit costs.
- Special focus on customer satisfaction and the importance of understanding how to obtain voice of the customer data and integrate it into the vision and work
- Provide executive leadership in driving a high-performance culture capable of delivering a differentiated consumer experience. Includes creating a work environment that fosters employee engagement, focusing on building bench strength, including talent infusion in appropriate key roles for both front line and leadership levels.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of the vendor management strategy for business process outsourcing for claims and contact center in partnership with the CoE.
- Performs, systematic, ongoing cost benefit analysis of financial services provided to measure direct impacts to financial results and to assure appropriate return on investment. Responsible for working with US partners in other operations to research inconsistencies that arise in Financial services as a result of decisions/processes up stream to Benefits. Also responsible for identifying both immediate and more systemic solutions that address customer requirements and mitigate risk.
- Leads a data driven culture across the operations to ensure adequate metrics, reporting and data are in place to manage inventory and call volume effectively and consumes shared services to ensure a dashboard view of key metrics.
- Strong focus on talent development to build a community of strong front-line leaders and directors to build a pipeline for the AVP roles and to ensure strong people development focus and culture in the organization.
- Champions and Models the We are Unum brand and principles
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- 7-10 years prior experience in claims, contact center and/or equivalent operational management preferred.
- Proven experience and demonstrated knowledge/capability in leading large operations.
- Proven experience and success in leading continuous improvement and innovation initiatives within operations context
- Strong consumer advocacy and service orientation
- Superior facilitation, negotiation, planning and organization skills
- Successful demonstration of effective decision making and critical thinking skills
- Strong collaboration skills; demonstrated ability to partner and influence senior leaders across the enterprise to achieve results
- Strategic thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Proven ability to build credible business strategies based on “big picture” view of internal information, trends, marketplace data.
- Orientation towards measurement (productivity & effectiveness)
- Excellent negotiation and collaboration skills and experience dealing with difficult internal and external negotiations
- Ability to communicate effectively across functions, at all levels of the organization
- Collaborative, team player. Credibility and influence with peers and superiors
- Ability to lead multi-site teams and remote personnel
- Proven ability to execute across a variety of platforms and constituents to achieve strong measurable results.
- Ability to work and lead in a fast changing and ambiguous environment
- Demonstrated ability to sponsor and lead large-scale projects and accomplish goals. Strong knowledge of technology and its application in a claims and contact center environment
- Track record for attracting, retaining, and developing talent, including leadership talent. Ability to build a team and implement a long-term vision.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.