The Medical Underwriter Specialist will be a part of Group Insurance in the Medical Underwriting Operation. This operation determines the status of risk presented by applicants for Group Life, Long Term Disability and/or Short Term Disability insurance. This is an exciting opportunity which helps our applicants achieve their Financial Wellness goals.
- Underwriting applications with high face amounts across all product lines for both employer and association business
- Assessing and medically underwriting applications with high face amounts for insurance (Decisions are based on medical information obtained through avenues such as the Medical Information Bureau, medical records, and/or medical examinations. Information pertaining to the applicant's past and present medical conditions are evaluated against the company guidelines and decisions are made to either accept the applicant for coverage or reject the application.)
- Responding to appeal requests from previously rejected applications
- Handling escalated phone calls from applicants wishing to discuss the medical information and the underwriting rationale behind rejected applications
- Responding to Customer complaints
- Assisting Underwriters and Senior Underwriters with the risk assessment of more complex medical conditions
- Periodic assistance with quality review
- Training of new associates and identification of training opportunities
- Assisting the Life and Disability Claims Teams with contestability reviews
- Providing feedback to Senior Underwriters and peers where appropriate
- MIB coding
- Proactive identification of process enhancements and solutions development
- We are seeking a team player who demonstrates strategic thinking and strong analytical and risk assessment skills, pertaining to medical information.
- 3-5 years medical underwriting experience
- This individual must also be able to work independently and adapt quickly to shifting priorities.
- Candidate must also possess the following qualifications: - Life and disability medical underwriting experience, including MIB coding and drafting of correspondence
- Strong knowledge of medical terminology
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a high volume, fast paced environment while adhering to production, quality and service standards
- Strong time management skills
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about doing business with Prudential.
Job Function Underwriting
Primary Location United States-New Jersey-Roseland
Other Locations United States-Arizona-Scottsdale, United States-Pennsylvania-Dresher, United States-Maine-Portland, United States-Connecticut-Hartford