Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center
Department: RHC - Corinth
Position is located: Primary Care- Corinth
Work Type: Full Time
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Provides support to all office practices. In collaboration with the VP of Physician Practices and the Medical Director, this candidate will act as the “go to person” for the providers and staff regarding troubleshooting issues, assists in managing clinical staff schedules, coordinating vacation requests and call-outs to ensure appropriate clinic coverage, performing clinical duties in offices when appropriate, provides support as a patient services liaison with communication with leadership team, ensures smooth clinical operations which support teamwork, and generates a positive attitude amongst care team staff, attends EHR training sessions and distributes new information to providers and staff through individual trainings and communications, clearly communicates and monitors any quality driven processes to the department/unit, provides on-going useful, objective, and constructive input to employee hiring, performance appraisals, and employee supervision, and facilitating the orientation of new staff. The Medical Assistant works in conjunction with other health care professionals to provide quality team based care to the patients. Must be able to perform both administrative and clinical tasks in the medical care environment. Must manifest a positive and caring attitude at all times and possess the flexibility to change as needed. The MA works under the physician’s license in accordance with state laws and the direct supervision of a physician. This position reports to the MPA Nurse Manager.
- Performs clinical duties in offices when appropriate.
- Maintains the expiration update on all medications and discards when necessary.
- Completes blood draws, immunizations, and assists with procedures per provider's orders.
- Updates IMMPACT (State of Maine Immunization Registry).
- Performs EKG’s.
- Performs OB intake (if applicable).
- Changes dressing; applies bandages, removes sutures and other first aid procedures at the direction of provider.
- Uses CPR skills when required.
- Measures and records vital signs.
- Record patient interview, history, chief complaint and meaningful use items in EHR.
- Prepares patients and rooms in accordance with provider and patient needs (including vitals).
- Provides prescription refills per provider's orders.
- Communicates lab/test results to patients per provider's orders in a timely manner.
- Orders tests as directed by provider.
- Checks AED batteries.
- Checks crash cart/emergency drug box monthly for out dates & keeps log up-to-date.
- Checks eye wash station weekly to ensure proper functioning.
- Maintains temperature logs for State of Maine refrigerators and freezers.
- Assists provider with exams and minor office surgery.
- Prepares and administers medications with provider authorization.
- Disposes of biohazard waste according to OSHA standards.
- Practices safety standards per Mayo policies.
- Preps equipment for sterilization.
- Maintains the patient's chart and updates the registry as needed.
- Performs patient call backs per provider’s instructions.
- Performs accurate, legal and ethical documentation at all times.
- Triages phone calls from patients.
- Follows up on INR no shows with reminders.
- Assists in managing clinical staff schedules, coordinating vacation requests and call-outs ensuring appropriate clinical coverage.
- Provides support as a patient services liaison with communication with leadership team.
- Ensures smooth clinical operations which support teamwork, and generates a positive attitude amongst care team staff.
- Clearly communicates and monitors any quality driven processes to the department/unit.
- Provides ongoing useful, objective, and constructive input to employee hiring, performance appraisals, and employee supervision.
- Facilitates the orientation of new staff.
- Works as part of a team dedicated to maximizing office visits and assuring adequate access for the people we serve.
- Treats all internal and external customers with respect and dignity.
- Assists in training new staff.
- Assists Care Coach/RN as directed.
- Attends EHR training sessions and distributes new information to providers and staff through individual trainings and communications.
Certified Medical Assistant Certification Required.
Competencies and skills:
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Promotes Health and Safety: Promotes a healthy and safe environment for patients, employees and visitors. Advocates and models healthy physical and mental health behaviors even in challenging circumstances. Sets high quality standards and strives for continuous improvement and quality assurance by reporting and encouraging others to report near misses and safety issues.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
* Serves Others: Strives to understand, meet and exceed the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers which may include the people and communities in our service areas. Develops and maintains relationships, alliances and coalitions within and outside the organization and leverages them in order to obtain information, support, and promote cooperation and collaboration.
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
* Potential exposure to diseases or infections.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Continuous kneeling.
* Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
* Continuous walking.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status