Schedule: Casual Part Time (TAMC)
Using AR Gould's Standards of Behavior-demonstrate professionalism at all times with patients, co-workers and fellow students. A team player and a dedicated learning attitude are necessary for this position of variable skills, organization and independent working environment. Fast paced setting requires independent thinking and ability and willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changes in order to learn and accomplish the skills needed to succeed.
The Intern for Surgical Services will be supervised and managed by the OR Educator. He/she will report directly to the OR Educator for assistance/questions/concerns/issues regarding responsibilities (see Essential Duties below).
1. Will assist to maintain, support, and implement department and hospitals mission and goals.
2. Will develop knowledge of surgical procedures and will be able to collect and coordinate the supplies and instruments needed for those cases.
3. Greets, identifies, and learns to transports patients to and from the Operating Room and/or Recovery Room.
4. Learns to assists in maintaining a safe and clean environment.
5. Functions under the direction of the OR Educator and when appropriate under a preceptor.
6. Will learn to assist in moving patients to and from OR table.
7. Will assist in taking specimens to the lab
8. Will assist stocking OR rooms with proper supplies.
9. Will assist in bringing and removing equipment as needed.
10. Learns to help the RN circulator with duties during surgery when appropriate.
11. Will learn and understand the use of preference sheets.
12. Will take vital signs when needed.
13. Will assist in DSU cleaning and making stretchers ready for next case.
14. Will learn to clean and process scopes for the GI Lab.
15. Will transfer patients to and from other units as directed by OR and/or DSU
16. Will assist in patient care with RN within scope of practice.
17. When approved by OR Educator/Supervisor and no less than 3 months will develop an in-depth knowledge of surgical instruments and proper care of those instruments.
18. When approved by the OR Educator/Supervisor and be no less than 3 months will understand the application and practice of aseptic/sterile technique and be able to demonstrate.
19. When approved by the OR Educator/Supervisor and be no less than 3 months will develop the ability to scrub, gown, and glove in preparation for surgical cases.
20. When approved by the OR Educator/Supervisor and be no less than 3 months will learn to pass instruments and other sterile supplies to surgeons and PA/RNFAs. Holding retractors, cutting sutures, and keeping inventory of sponges, needles, and instruments used during surgery.
21. Will develop knowledge of the medications and solutions used in the Operating Room.
22. Will learn to identify, handle, and care for the surgical specimen.
1. Identifies own learning needs and assume responsibility for personal and professional growth.
LICENSE REQUIREMENTS: None
1. Enrolled in an accredited nursing school
2. Have CNA status or enrolled in CNA program
3. Completed assigned hours before graduating to scrub responsibilities per OR Educator/Supervisor.
Equal Opportunity Employment