Job Posting End Date: 08/10
Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company — not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we’re excited about what’s next. Join us.
General Summary:This is an entry-level management role and individuals in this role will manage a small to mid-size team of IT professionals working within agile/infrastructure/or operations teams.
The role is responsible for achieving the software/solutions/services delivery commitments of the team. They work to maximize the effectiveness of the team and takes actions to increase performance of the team. They develop, mentor and coach team members while promoting and facilitating their professional development and ensures plans are in place to elevate the performance of the team. They work with product owners or other relevant partners and IT leadership to ensure that there is a steady flow of valuable solutions coming from the team.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Is responsible for, oversees and evaluates the overall delivery of the team and acts to address issues when necessary.
- Ensures the team has a well-defined backlog of valuable work.
- For Agile teams, helps the product owner and team members to prioritize initiatives and sprint releases.
- Removes obstacles and roadblocks that impact the performance of the team.
- For Agile teams, works with business partners and team to translate the business strategy or roadmap into backlog items.
- For Agile teams, ensures that the team(s) apply the best software engineering practices including, but not limited to: test driven development, peer reviews, continuous integration and deployment practices, unit and regression test automation, comprehensive approach to addressing NFR, adherence to standards, comprehensive ‘definition of done,’ team retrospectives, etc.
- For Infrastructure and Operations teams, ensures that we benchmark against associated services to keep service delivery and support at an appropriate cost.
- Demonstrates creativity and innovation in applying solutions for the benefit of the customer/stakeholder; promotes same within team.
- Uses metrics and tools to understand team performance and efficiency; takes actions to improve the efficiency of the team.
- Works with their manager to ensure strong and diverse talent is in place to meet business needs and goals.
- Mentors, coaches, and inspires team members to higher levels of performance. Ensures development plans are focused on enhancing skills and expertise needed within the team. This includes 1-on-1 situational coaching towards results, experimentation and learning.
- Identifies and addresses skills gaps in the team that may impact its ability to meet business needs.
- Identifies and promotes pairing/cross training opportunities to enrich the expertise of the team and limit constraints or deficits of specific skills across the organization.
- Develops a self-organizing team (cross-functioning, partners with the business, collaborative, works quickly and unencumbered, be empowered and autonomous, be able to focus on self-improvement) and supports the management activities that make self-organization successful.
- Conducts regular reviews of each team member’s plan and ensures the team member is progressing and addressing skill development needs.
- Works with colleagues to review the operation and effectiveness of resourcing programs within the organization and contributes ideas for changes and improvements as appropriate.
- May serve in a Scrum or Kanban Master role.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of a broad range of emerging technology trends and identifies opportunities where technology might be deployed to deliver business improvements and competitive advantage.
- Reinforces agile values by focusing on the highest business value items.
- Bachelors degree in computer science preferred, or relevant technical experience
- Has 5+ years experience in an IT field, or equivalent relevant work experience
- Software development or technology background with strong knowledge of relevant technical disciplines
- Demonstrates understanding of Agile/Lean leadership principles; proficient in agile team development as well as awareness of team training opportunities
- Exhibits courage by taking smart risks and encouraging others to do so; empowers innovative approaches by motivating others to be proactive and resourceful
- Able to effectively coach and mentor, and identify and address skills needs and gaps
- Proficient in methods and techniques for running effective meetings and for understanding and influencing the roles played by participants
- Displays good interpersonal skills at all levels of contact in a wide variety of situations, demonstrating the ability to listen and influence, and to relate to customers in their own language
- Demonstrates the ability to champion change and support teams through change
- Demonstrates the ability to think critically, challenge conventional thinking, and generate and apply unique business insight to create a competitive advantage for the organization.
Based on the focus of these agile delivery teams, knowledge and experience with one or more of the following technologies is preferred:
- Experience with Salesforce Lightning Components and Salesforce Data Integration w/Rest
- Experience with Salesforce Data object model, Lead, Opportunity, Quote and Contract object experience
- Experience with Salesforce release process with a knowledge of Salesforce DX advantageous
- Strong background in a development environment a must, with experience of Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) and associated tooling, Jenkins, SonarCube, etc.
- Must be able to solve complex business problems through aligning the capabilities of the Salesforce platform and present recommendations to management effectively
- Salesforce Developer Certification is Preferred
- Must have good planning, organizational and decision-making skills
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.