Northern Light A.R. Gould
Department: Core Lab
Position is located: Northern Light A.R. Gould Hospital
Work Type: Full Time
Work Schedule: Variable
The phlebotomist provides support for the technical functions of the laboratory. The phlebotomist performs specimen collection, performs waived point-of-care testing, performs laboratory aide functions and performs related clerical functions. Responsibilities also include receiving outpatients in a pleasant and efficient manner, and performing order entry completely and accurately. Other duties are performed as assigned.
- Receive and direct outpatients.
- Perform venipuncture and capillary puncture.
- Collected throat, Nasopharyngeal and urine specimens.
- Perform limited urinalysis testing.
- Perform LIS order-entry and maintain necessary competency with computer operations and procedures.
- Assist with ordering and receiving laboratory supplies.
- Perform limited clerical duties including record keeping, sorting, delivering and filing laboratory reports.
- Restock collection trays and assist in maintaining inventory of supplies related to specimen collection.
- Arrange for disposal of all biohazard waste and sharps generated from performing phlebotomy procedures.
- Deliver all specimens to laboratory specimen processing area in a timely manner.
- Will attend training sessions and review procedures and new information related to phlebotomy, computer use, safety and related topics when assigned by the laboratory manager.
- Model behavior consistent with the ARG Standards of Behavior.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* No previous experience required.
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED), related experience preferred but not required, experience with computer systems preferred but not required, Basic Life Support (BLS) within six months of hire.
* Potential exposure to diseases or infections.
* Potential exposure to hazardous materials.
* Potential exposure to noxious odors.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Work beyond the regularly scheduled hours.
* Lifting, moving and loading 30 to 50 pounds.
* Continuous standing.
* Continuous walking.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status