Northern Light Mayo Hospital
Department: Emergency Department
Position is located: Mayo Hospital
Work Type: PRN
Work Schedule: Variable
Performs duties of unit receptionist, transcribes PA and physician orders, maintains records, orders unit supplies, assists with patient transport to other departments and patient registration, operates hospital switchboard and monitors alarm panels.
- Precepts and mentors new staff and students.
- Maintains positive working relationships with all members of the health care team.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate pertinent data to the supervisor, nursing staff and medical provider efficiently and effectively.
- Integrate skills taught in special classes: People Based Patient Safety, Crucial Conversations, AIDET, Managing violent patients.
- Responds appropriately to emergency situations (fire, code blue, code gray, Plan Triage).
- Accurately transcribes orders according to priority based on patient need.
- Maintains appropriate levels of office supplies, unit nourishments and puts such supplies away promptly and in appropriate place.
- Appropriately assembles and ensures completeness of ED charts.
- Accurately files test results, and other data on patient charts.
- Accurately maintains ED patient log.
- Accurately retrieves and collects data as requested.
- Uses proper telephone etiquette in telephone, radio, and vocera communications and relays messages appropriately.
- Appropriately manages messaging services (woman care, ortho, etc).
- Demonstrates ability to operate hospital switchboard functions.
- Demonstrates proficiency and accuracy in registering outpatients, obtaining treatment consents, and entering accurate billing and patient information.
- Appropriately notifies nurse or provider to take patient phone calls and ambulance reports.
- Recognizes errors, corrects and notifies affected departments.
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of unit's performance improvement measures.
- Patient charges are appropriately accounted for.
- Demonstrates the ability to adapt to an ever changing patient care environment.
- Seeks opportunities for professional growth.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Ability to understand the language used to precisely describe the human body including its components, processes, conditions affecting it, and procedures performed upon it.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
* Potential exposure to abusive and/or aggressive people.
* Potential exposure to diseases or infections.
* Potential exposure to hazardous materials.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Continuous kneeling.
* Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
* Continuous sitting.
* Continuous standing.
* Continuous walking.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status