The Maine Senate Majority (Democratic) Office seeks self-motivated, detail-oriented individual for the role of executive secretary. The ideal candidate will be skilled at maintaining composure and organization under occasionally high stress scenarios and will enjoy working as part of a team to meet diverse challenges. Anticipated start date is the last week of July or the first week of August 2020.
The Senate Majority Office staff supports and enhances the work of the Maine Senate Democrats as they carry out their duty to serve their constituents and strive to have a tangible, positive impact on the lives of all Maine people. The Executive Secretary in many ways is the face of the Office and represents the Senate Democrats in communicating with the public. Therefore, strong constituent or customer service skills are critical.
Job Summary: Performs advanced and complex secretarial duties of an administrative nature for legislative leaders and party caucus members. Work requires flexibility and the ability to use independent judgement in completing tasks assigned by members of the legislature and legislative staff. This position involves interaction (see footnote below) with the public in person and by phone, and requires the use of various office equipment including computer, fax and photocopier.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- May perform all or any duties expected of an executive secretary with a high degree of skill, speed, accuracy and independence.
- Assist with managing and organizing legislative leaders' schedules.
- Type correspondence, memos and other documents.
- Prepare and maintain mailing lists; keep up-to-date list of contact information for caucus members, legislative and other governmental offices.
- Obtain, assemble, edit and format information for reports, newsletters and other documents.
- May coordinate the work of other clerical staff or interns on a project basis.
- May work with the Office of the Secretary of the Senate to order supplies, keep specialized office records and coordinate the preparation and printing of publications.
- Provide the first point of contact, on behalf of caucus members and the Majority Office, for the public, the lobby, executive branch officials, and other legislators.
- Provide information and referral to other offices and government resources as appropriate.
- Ensure Majority Office main office space is organized and clean.
- High school diploma or equivalent with additional post-secondary education or training in secretarial, office management, or administration desirable.
- Two years of experience and demonstrated competence as executive secretary or in similar office management/administrative role.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities and operate under pressure.
- Computer training or experience in word processing, spreadsheets and graphics programs.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated interest in politics and/or state government.
Note: As of Monday, June 29, 2020 the State House is closed and all Senate Majority Office staff are working remotely from their homes until further notice due to COVID-19. Given this unique crisis, staff must have access to a personal computer and internet at home to complete necessary job functions.
- E-mail cover letter, current resume, and at least two professional references to Chief of Staff Isabel Mullin at email@example.com.
- The posting is open until the position is filled.