MEDICAL ASSISTANT - NORTH STREET
Northern Light AR Gould Hospital
Presque Isle, ME
Schedule: Regular Full-time
: The Medical Assistant provides primary clinical support to the provider, patient, and family members involved in the patient's care. Maintains complete and accurate documentation in the medical record to ensure continuity and quality of care. Promotes a clean and safe environment. Meets qualifications to provide care for patients within the age-specifics ranges cared for in the assigned practice setting. Collects subjective information from the patient, family, or patient representative and performs clinical interventions under the delegation of a physician/ mid-level provider, while reporting to dyad leaders or clinical lead for daily operational issues. Consistently provides the highest level of patient care and supports the needs of the patient, practice, and clinical team; while maximizing patient satisfaction, providing safe and cost effective care, and performing at the highest level of their credential.
The incumbent will possess knowledge of medical terminology and will be proficient in the utilization of computer programs necessary to perform their duties and the Electronic Health Record. Must demonstrate communication skills which provide timely, concise, and audience appropriate information, both orally and written; dependent on patient/practice needs. Displays positive work habits, productivity, and effective time management. Collaborates with a diverse team by establishing and maintaining constructive professional relationships. Manages conflict resolution via effective communication; appropriately utilizing the Chain of Command as deemed necessary. Customer focus that demonstrates commitment to meeting and exceeding the expectations of internal and external customers.
· Assists providers in exam procedures, etc. in a professional, safe, and competent manner; maintaining sterile technique when applicable.
Maintains current clinical competency, knowledge, and skills specific to the population of patients to whom care is administered.
· Demonstrates ongoing professional growth and provides documented evidence of participation in continued educational offerings.
· Collects, reviews and documents patient's current subjective health status and history. Completes initial Review of Systems consistent with reason for visit/chief complaint.
Is knowledgeable in the appropriate rooming and preparation of patients to be seen in the practice
· Accurately documents subjective history and complaints, vital signs, and any interventions performed in the medical record according to hospital and practice standards.
· Attains/maintains competency in point of care testing performed within the practice.
· Attains/maintains competency in interventions performed within the practice and performs these interventions according to practice policy/protocol in order to enhance efficiency. May include, but not limited to EKGs, vital signs, PPD planting, phlebotomy, simple wound care and dressing changes, suture and staple removal, respiratory function testing, ear lavage, and splinting.
· Demonstrates competency in safe medication administration; strictly adhering to the medication administration policy.
· Immunizations are scheduled, administered per CDC recommendations, and documented per practice guidelines.
· Accepts telephone orders according to practice protocols, documents these orders utilizing read-back method to prevent error, and completes orders in a timely fashion.
· Refills medication prescriptions per office protocol or refers to Office Nurse/ Clinical Coordinator as appropriate.
· Completes orders per provider direction or JPP, safely, in a time-effective manner, supported by appropriate documentation.
· Participates in maintenance of working environment (e.g., cleaning, stocking of rooms) daily or as necessary. Maintains cleanliness of room per infection control policy.
· Identifies and documents patient(s) readiness to learn, barriers to learning, and preferred method of education. Provides educational materials based on these findings.
· Ensures that supplies and equipment inventory is adequate to meet practice needs; paying attention to integrity of equipment and expiration dating of supplies.
· Follows appropriate procedure for obtaining and returning/cleansing/disposing of equipment and supplies per infection control policy.
· Ensures all specimens are accurately labeled and processed correctly per policy.
· Reviews provider messages/desktops in a timely manner; independently completing tasks within MA's job responsibility per practice and relaying relevant information to provider as appropriate.
· Demonstrates ownership and accountability of any errors by reporting to supervisor and per policy.
· Utilizes appropriate personal protective equipment as determined by the patient's clinical presentation and per infection control policy.
· Assists administrative/office staff with sharing phone call coverage, scheduling of appointments, and making referrals as determined by the practice leadership. Is proficient in telephone messaging and documentation per policy.
· Demonstrates effective and courteous customer, physician practice staff, and ancillary staff communication skills.
· Responds to all calls and electronic messages promptly and courteously.
· Responds to and resolves issues promptly through effective communications and refers patients to appropriate practice leadership for follow-up as appropriate.
· Accountable for adherence to TJC, OSHA, and clinic policies and procedures. Reports any noted compliance concerns within practice to appropriate leadership.
· Proactively focuses efforts and energy on successfully attaining goals and objectives to maximize patient care, health care cost containment, and practice flow
· Consistently meets customer needs by continuous professional growth, displaying competency in skills required to perform duties, and by strictly adhering to policies and procedures, compliance, and quality measures.
· Patient Confidentiality is protected at all times.
· Utilizes proper body mechanics and knowledge of ergonomics to ensure personal safety.
Maintains a professional demeanor both inside and outside of the workplace.
Variable work schedule, as required.
EDUCATION SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Graduate of a two-year Medical Assistant program accredited by Commission or Allied Health and accredited and/or certified by the AAMA preferred.
Minimum requirements: High School Graduate or GED Equivalent. Twenty-four months of CNA, MA, or other clinical experience under a licensed healthcare professional within the past 36 months, (Registered Nurses will not be considered for a Medical Assistant Position, as they are overqualified for this role), with matriculation into a medical assistant program approved by Leadership within 6 months of hire. National certification must be successfully attained and maintained after completion of certificate or degree program to meet compliance to perform in this position. Applicants with less than 24 months of experience in the past 36 months may be considered if their prior clinical experience meets all of the regulatory and compliance measures required to perform their role at the practice they are seeking employment.
One year of prior experience in an ambulatory setting preferred.
BLS for Healthcare Professional certification required (or obtained within 30 days of hire or at next available class).
Equal Opportunity Employment
Healthcare | Nursing
Share this job