Northern Light Home Care and Hospice
Department: Home Health - Waterville
Position is located: Northern Light Home Care and Hospice Waterville
Work Type: Full Time
FTE: 1.0 - 40 hours per week
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Sign-On Bonus for experienced RNs (Registered Nurses) meeting eligibility criteria!
The Inpatient Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse is responsible for direct patient care, clinical consultation to patients and staff, and continuing education. This is achieved through demonstration of advanced clinical nursing skills, knowledge of standards of practice, and the incorporation of nursing research into nursing practice. Provides care to quickly and safely heal various types of wounds, including surgical openings, ulcers, bed sores, feeding tube sites, and abscesses. Create and implement treatment plans, monitor infections and signs of various infections, and clean wounds.
- Evaluates and provides wound and ostomy care for inpatients and outpatients as needed.
- Provides wound education for Mercy Hospital clinical staff, providers, patients and families.
- Maintains competency in wound care and hyperbaric therapy.
- Assists in providing patient care in the Wound Healing Center as their schedule and the needs of the inpatient population allows.
- Assists providers with direct wound care within their scope of practice.
- Works closely with the Wound Healing Center staff to assist in the coordination of care between inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Notifies providers and charge nurses of new skin issues, obtain treatment orders, adverse changes in wounds, need for different treatments, etc.
- Maintains and exhibits a current knowledge of profession and participates in continuing education.
- Maintains a safe environment complying with NLH policies and procedures; reports and directly addresses environmental hazards and violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
- May perform other duties upon request.
Current license to drive in the state of Maine, with reliable transportation and agency required auto liability insurance. Must be able to travel within assigned region, or statewide, depending on the position.
Competencies and skills:
* Two years acute care nursing experience. Evidence of effective communication skills, using verbal, written, and telephonic means. The incumbent must be computer literate.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one's behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Promotes Health and Safety: Promotes a healthy and safe environment for patients, employees and visitors. Advocates and models healthy physical and mental health behaviors even in challenging circumstances. Sets high quality standards and strives for continuous improvement and quality assurance by reporting and encouraging others to report near misses and safety issues.
* Current licensure to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in the State of Maine
* A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school of nursing. Graduate of a WOCN accredited WOC/ET Nursing Education program. Certification as a WOCN by the Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nursing Certification Board.
* Lifting, moving and loading 30 to 50 pounds.
* Alternate shift schedules (day, evening, nights, weekends).
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status