Job Posting End Date: 07/09
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:This position is primarily responsible for account servicing, including premium management, for Long Term Care customers.
This position is an important and key contributor to building customer loyalty which drives positive persistency and supports achieving top and bottom line growth objectives for Unum. The incumbent is expected to serve as a knowledgeable resource and leader for the team and will possess extensive systems and business process knowledge.
This position is responsible for providing quality service to customers and partners through the use of multiple system applications and administrative processes. Incumbents will be responsible for adhering to Unum’s guidelines in order to provide highly responsive, quality policy administration.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responds to inquiries and service requests from internal and external partners. Educates customers on products and processes
- Manages premium reconciliation processes
- Works effectively and collaboratively with internal partners to ensure service standards and customer needs are met and/or exceeded
- Conducts analysis and develops quality enrollment and premium solutions that meet customer expectations; Recognizes trends and root causes; Provides options in collaboration with internal/external partners which contribute to driving top and bottom line growth
- Evaluates and resolves service issues relying on exceptional communication skills, strong business knowledge and process expertise
- Meets individual goals while assisting to meet team goals
- Actively seeks opportunities to suggest/implement changes which improve workflow and/or reduce operating costs
- Makes appropriate systems/file updates and documentation
- Monitors service results and partners with management to implement solutions
- Provides informal leadership and may serve as backup for service consultant on technical questions/issues. Acts as a leader and subject matter expert on the team.
- Provides regular updates to ensure the team is educated on technical and/or workflow changes affecting the area
- Provides technical coaching and mentoring to team members and provides updates to management
- Identifies trends in metrics, processes, etc. and make suggestions to improve; Shares these trends and ideas with the team; Embraces and leads change
- Serves on project teams and provides input and ideas for process improvement
- Effectively handles a full caseload with high quality
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree highly preferred or equivalent, relevant business experience
- Exceptional commitment to meet/exceed customer needs
- Demonstrates consistency in achieving goals
- Strong ability to make sound business decisions, which balance customer satisfaction, financial integrity, and all stakeholder interests
- Strong mathematical aptitude and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong interpersonal skills which contribute to building relationships with a broad range of internal and external partners and other service team members. Displays team-oriented skills
- Strong ability to adapt and work effectively in a continuously changing environment; Able to multi-task and prioritize appropriately when competing demands develop
- Skilled in negotiation, conflict management and persuasion
- Highly proficient on systems and processes particular to the employee’s specific area
- Strong working knowledge of Unum’s Long Term Care contractual provisions across multiple product series
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency in a fast paced environment, both as part of team and individual
- Consistently demonstrates a high level of professionalism
- Seeks out job challenges and opportunities to constantly improve skills
- Solution oriented individual demonstrating strong investigative and problem solving skills
- Proficient in PC applications (e.g. Microsoft Office) with particular emphasis on Excel
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.