Schedule: Pool/Per Diem
Hours: mid shift
The Sterile Processing Technician is responsiblefor the transportation, cleaning, sterilization, and distribution ofinstruments and equipment for the operating room and other clinical areas. The incumbent performs duties and tasks inaccordance with performance standards established for the job. The incumbent may have access to highlyconfidential patient, employee and/or Mercy proprietary information, and musthandle & protect the information in accordance with hospital & systempolicies, HIPAA requirements and the highest level of ethical standards. Theincumbent is responsible for reporting all security events, potential events,or other security risks to the organization. The incumbent is responsible for participation in and completion of allpatient safety initiatives appropriate to the position and conducts all jobresponsibilities according to the Mission and Values of Northern Light Mercy Hospital.
- A High School Diploma or GED is required.
- CRCST or CSPDT Certification Preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills, clear communication and the ability to understand specific instructions. Good hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity. Ability to concentrate on detail and adjust quickly to changes. Knowledge of safe body mechanics and of physical lay-out and environment of hospital.
1. Assembles surgical instruments, and equipment for departmental utilization and surgical procedures.
· Transports/Receives soiled instruments from clinical areas to decontamination area of Sterile Processing Department.
· Is knowledgeable about the functionality of the ultrasonic washer, washer/disinfectors, gas plasma sterilizers, steam sterilizers, and immediate-use steam sterilizers.
· Is knowledgeable about the functionality of instrument tracking system to track individual instruments, and instrument sets through the decontamination, assembly, and storage processes.
· Cleans and decontaminates surgical instrumentation according to manufacturer's instructions for use.
· Inspects surgical instruments for defects during cleaning, assembly, and wrapping processes.
· Assembles instrument sets for specific surgical cases and sterilizes them according to manufacturer's instructions for use.
· Appropriately wraps and labels individual surgical instruments for sterilization.
· Sterilizes instruments according to procedures:steam sterilization, or gas plasma sterilization.
· Delivers processed instruments to clinical areas, or sterile storage area.
· Operates equipment used in processing and sterilization in strict accordance with prescribed standards and procedures.
· Tests mechanical washers, and sterilization equipment per protocols and documents findings appropriately.
2. Works cooperatively with other team members to facilitate departmental operations.
· Contributes to maintenance of a clean/safe work area by cleaning all operational equipment as outlined in departmental procedure manual.
· Follows procedures as outlined for maintenanceof instruments and equipment.
· Participates in keeping documentation and instrument tray count lists current.
· Maintains par levels in the operating room tosupport patient care.
· Routinely rounds on clinical units to retrieve instruments/trays that need to be processed.
3. Accepts responsibility for further developing professional learning needs.
· Participates in continuing education programs for departmental employees.
· Participates in facility Continuous QualityI mprovement (CQI).
· Attends scheduled in-services, as offered, andother programs that are required or assigned.
· Attends and participates in a minimum of six staff meetings per year.
· Certification in IAHCSMM or CBSPD is encouraged after one (1) year of hire. (International Association of Healthcare CentralService Materiels Management; Certification Board of Sterile Processing and Distribution)
4. Demonstratesbehaviors consistent with organizational mission, goals, and policies.
· Demonstrates practices which keep all medical record information protected and confidential.
· Follows and adheres to Patient Rights policiesat all times.
· Takes accountability for information containedin the department and hospital procedure manual.
5. Performs additional duties as required or assigned.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Greater Portland/Casco Bay