Job Posting End Date: 09/15
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:This position is responsible for the application of policy provisions and information needs related to pre and post-disability financial calculations on disability claims. The Disability Benefit Specialist will submit the claim to the Financial Benefit Specialist to accurately calculate, document, and code the appropriate benefit payment. This position will work closely with Financial Risk Consultants on more complicated claims.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides initial review and calculation of all financial aspects of disability claims.
- Understands policy provisions and application of provisions to calculations.
- Provides an ongoing review of claimant return to work earnings calculations.
- Reviews disability claims for potential benefit offsets.
- Works closely and in consultation with Financial Risk Consultants on the most complex claims.
- Reviews and ensures the accuracy of the benefit components in the claims payment systems.
- Reviews documentation and coding of the disability benefit taxability.
- Available to DBS role for calculation explanation and support for communication with/from claimant.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or equivalent education is preferred.
- Two to three years relevant experience in accounting is required.
- Experience in disability insurance a plus.
- Detailed experience with, or understanding of, the claims process a plus.
- Strong math aptitude required.
- Proficient in Microsoft office products with strong Excel skills or aptitude to learn required.
- Strong teamwork skills and the proven ability to mentor/train.
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Highly developed written and verbal skills.
- Strong Customer orientation - focus and desire to provide excellent customer service are critical.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.