Join Martin's Point Health Care - an innovative, not-for-profit health care organization offering care and coverage to the people of Maine and beyond. As a joined force of "people caring for people," Martin's Point employees are on a mission to transform our health care system while creating a healthier community. Martin's Point employees enjoy an organizational culture of trust and respect, where our values - taking care of ourselves and others, continuous learning, helping each other, and having fun - are brought to life every day. Join us and find out for yourself why Martin's Point has been certified as a "Great Place to Work" since 2015. Position Summary:The Practice Medical Director works collaboratively with all members of the care team providing world class service to both the patients and staff of Martin’s Point. The Practice Medical Director (PMD) provides innovative leadership in partnership with the Practice Administrator and in coordination with clinical leadership across the organization to support the Martin’s Point mission of realizing the IHI Triple Aim goals of improving the health of our population, enhancing patient experience, and reducing and/or controlling the per capita costs of health care. The PMD is a practicing physician, responsible for superior clinical, operational, and administrative performance of his/her practice site. S/he is a respected clinician who models the Martin’s Point values and helps create an engaging clinical culture that fosters creativity, decision-making at all levels, outstanding customer service, continuous improvement, and the highest quality delivery of health care.
- Sets and implements vision for the site and integrates MPHC vision and strategy at local level.
- Serves as key member of PMD/PAdmin team to design and establish all-health care center strategies for delivery of medical care and quality.
- Designs and implements site business plan including quality, personnel, financial, and clinical action items. Accountable for all proposed metrics for each area.
- Manages performance and supervises medical staff (specifically providers) including goal-setting, ongoing coaching, mentorship, assessment, accountability, and professional development to ensure professional, clinical, and quality metrics are achieved. Meets regularly with medical staff to ensure professional and business goals are on target.
- Supports creation of provider Individual Development Plans (IDPs), and ensures opportunities are available to fulfill development goals.
- Gathers feedback from staff and communicates regularly about relevant decisions that affect day-to-day work of providers.
- Recommends, refers, and ensures ongoing training and development for medical staff including CMEs and corporate education initiatives.
- Intervenes early to resolve disputes or conflicts among or between staff and/or outside departments.
- Acts as champion of Care Model, acts as coach to Care Team leadership, and ensures that standards of care are clearly communicated and implemented throughout the site.
Patient Experience/Clinical Oversight -
- Oversees site patient care, ensuring that all patients receive welcoming access to high-quality, patient-centric care and education.
- In collaboration with PAdmin, designs and implements site-specific policies and procedures as well as those vetted through organization-wide physician and administrative leadership.
- Supervises all professional and non-professional activities of the health center to assure compliance with appropriate standards required by all governmental agencies and conforms to policies, regulations, and procedures required by MPHC.
- Monitors and evaluates the ongoing clinical Quality Improvement operations, reports findings to PMD/PAdmin committee, and recommends program modifications or improvements for quality of care.
- Supports ongoing assessment projects to ensure patient care is continually improving.
- In partnership with PAdmin, reviews and supports action planning in response to CAHPs scores.
- In partnership with physician recruiter, oversee recruitment and onboarding activities for new physicians and mid-level practitioners. Interviews all candidates for site recruitment.
- Coordinates with enabling departments to ensure clinical partnership and organization’s strategic objectives are met—including Credentialing, Risk Management, Quality, IS, Finance, Human Resources, and Compliance.
- Conducts regular reviews of patient charts to ensure compliance with agreed-upon and medically-dictated standards.
Patient Care -
- Provides medical care customarily provided by physicians who practice in respective specialty.
- Provides Medical Services as directed by MPHC.
- Physician will also perform such other duties as are requested by MPHC consistent with Physician’s position as a physician employee of MPHC.
Financial Oversight -
- Establishes, monitors, and ensures adherence to site budget as it relates to FY operations so that site is financially sustainable.
- Acts as steward of MPHC resources, employing process improvements where possible to keep costs at minimum while investing in cost-saving measures.
- Reviews monthly financials and with leadership team, takes action where necessary to conform to site business plan.
- Monitors purchasing to ensure alignment with site budget.
- In partnership with PAdmin, supports quarterly budgeting and re-forecasting processes.
Quality Improvement -
- Maintains excellence of care delivery—defines standards and acts as model in delivery.
- With site team, establishes areas of focus, both present and future.
- Oversees chart and case review and helps define scope and expectations from clinicians
- Leads Quality Improvement initiatives and development
- Supports and/or leads Population Health initiatives
- Participates in daily huddles and regular team meetings to improve workflows and contribute to improving patient population outcomes.
- Monitors payer quality programs.
- Disseminates results of quality improvement vs. benchmarks
Organizational Participation/Community Outreach -
- Encourages increased use of the health center by monitoring physician and patient satisfaction within the health center including all services, policies, and staff-customer relations.
- Monitors patient complaints.
- Assists with orientation for new patients and the community and informs patient population about ongoing offerings through the health centers.
- 3+ years of direct patient care experience
- 3+ years of applicable experience with managed care
- Leadership and/or management experience
- Demonstrated experience working with Clinicians to deploy best clinical practices
Required License(s) and/or Certification(s) for All Levels:
- Board certification as MD or DO
- Active and unrestricted license to practice medicine in Maine (if practicing medicine in this State)
- Active and unrestricted license to practice medicine in New Hampshire (if practicing medicine in this State)
- DEA license
- BLS Certified
Skills/Knowledge/Competencies (Behaviors) for All Levels:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to lead and manage in a fast-changing environment.
- Ability to prioritize and attend to strategic and essential tasks in a busy, complex environment.
- Strong people-leader with ability to manage conflict and hold difficult conversations
- Strong learning agility and emotional intelligence
- Ability to partner with PAdmin to establish work processes that meet patient and staff needs and expectations.
- Ability to act as mentor and coach to new providers and staff.
- Ability to hold others accountable for their behaviors, standards, and expected outcomes.
- Strong ability to delegate.
- Strong meeting management skills.
Do you have a question about careers at Martin’s Point Health Care? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org