Job Posting End Date: 10/16
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:This is a senior level position that requires independent judgment, initiative and solid business knowledge. This role actively identifies, researches and analyzes a variety of actuarial issues and concepts. In this role, one will identify, plan and initiate projects and may manage a team. Considerable reliance will be placed on the individual’s judgment. This position is an active participant on a variety of other cross functional/operating teams (e.g., underwriting, compliance, customer care etc.) Minimum qualifications include at least four years of relevant experience and the designation of Fellow of the Society of Actuaries.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- In support of Unum US voluntary and Colonial Life products, coordinate driver-based financial and business plans to enable/drive operating areas to achieve business growth and enhanced profitability.
- Lead modeling efforts that serve to inform and ground business decisions, aide collaboration with subject matter experts, and provide quality financial analytics to drive optimum solutions for complex issues.
- Design and drive disciplined annual, quarterly and monthly integrated financial reporting across the business units in line with corporate, strategic and operational processes to achieve desired business and financial goals.
- Analyze emerging experience, monitor marketplace trends, and identify issues
- Develop analysis framework and recommend enhancements
- Recommend updated pricing, valuation or reserving assumptions to management
- Lead development of tools to support pricing, valuation, underwriting and business analysis and participate in implementation efforts
- Prepare financial reports and projections; perform analysis of financial data
- Participate actively on cross-functional/operational task forces (e.g. underwriting, compliance, customer care)
- Mentor, manage and train an actuarial support staff
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree required
- Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries
- At least four years of relevant experience and/or a high level of technical expertise
- Strong problem solving ability and project management skills
- Hands-on experience with current technology
- Solid people management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates strong leadership abilities
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.