The ideal candidate for this position will be a student who has completed courses in social work or has had experience working in social services. The intern will be work in the financial counseling office at Maine Medical Center. They will serve as a triage person; greeting patients and screening them for their financial needs. This is the first point of contact for patients who are requesting financial assistance. Many patients are non-English speaking. The intern at this location will learn about the eligibility for Medicaid as well as the financial assistance programs available through Maine Medical Center. They will work closely with the case managers who work in this office and will have the opportunity to learn how to complete a Medicaid application.
We are looking for motivated individuals who are interested in gaining valuable, hands-on experience and making a real difference while working within the healthcare field. MaineHealth interns will have the exciting opportunity to work, learn, and develop their skills at the largest healthcare organization in Maine. Interns provide administrative and project support within their department, and are valued members of each department team.
The MaineHealth Internship Program runs from June 1st - August 7th 2020.
We offer FREE bus trips to our employees traveling on the Greater Portland Metro (including BREEZ and HUSKY lines), South Portland Bus Service, and ShuttleBus-ZOOM.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Education: Student who is currently enrolled in a four-year degree program in pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- License/Certifications: N/A
- Experience: N/A
- Strong analytical thinking.
- Must work independently, take initiative to complete assigned projects with minimal direction, and be able to prioritize tasks within an assigned project.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in the performance of duties.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both oral and written.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products and other technologies as needed.
Internship | Temporary/Contract
Greater Portland/Casco Bay