Under the general supervision of the Practice Manager, this person performs a variety of administrative functions in support of patient registration, team coordination, phone management and other patient care coordinator duties. The candidate for this position will maintain patient rights by educating patients; responding to patient and patient family complaints; resolving patient issues and reporting unresolved issues. They will establish and maintain a relationship of trust and respect with patients. The Patient Care Coordinator will support the onboarding of new staff by completing New Hire Checklists and organizing an orientation itinerary specific to the job function.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- High School degree or General Education Development equivalency required,
- Ability to read, write, and speak English in order to follow oral or written instructions and complete standard forms.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to exchange information and maintain courteous relationships with patients, families, visitors, and Maine Health employees.
- Knowledge of standards, policies, procedures and organizational structure of the practice, Memorial Hospital and Maine Health.
- Participates in continuing education relative to role as defined.
- Ability to excel in a team-based care environment.
- Ability to maintain a professional manner.
- Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality
- Proficient computer skills and knowledge of the electronic medical record
- Knowledge of medical terminology and medical office procedures.
- Familiarity with medical terminology
- Demonstrated customer service ability to interact with the public, staff and patients preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in an Outpatient Practice Setting
- Proficiency handling multi-line telecommunications systems and electronic documentation software
- Knowledge of ICD10 and CPT coding
- Excellent written and verbal customer service skills
- Organizational, decision-making, and problem-solving abilities
- Capability to maintain and respect confidentiality and HIPAA guidelines
- Knowledge of medical office operations, including scheduling, registration, electronic medical records, patient flow, billing, coding, charge capture, referrals, authorizations, payer guidelines, and compliance.