Northern Light Home Care and Hospice
Department: Hospice - Ellsworth
Position is located: Northern Light Home Care and Hospice Ellsworth
Work Type: Full Time
FTE: 1.0 - 40 hours per week
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Provides care for ill, injured, or convalescing patients or persons with disabilities in hospital or other healthcare settings.
- Administers prescribed medications or start intravenous fluids, noting times and amounts on patients' electronic medical record.
- Observes patients and reports changes in patients' conditions, such as adverse reactions to medication or treatment, and taking any necessary action.
- Answers patients' calls and determines how to assist them.
- Measures and records patients' vital signs, such as height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse, or respiration.
- Provides basic patient care or treatments, such as taking temperatures or blood pressures, dressing wounds, treating bedsores, giving enemas or douches, rubbing with alcohol, massaging, or performing catheterizations.
- Maintains a safe environment complying with NLH policies and procedures; reports and directly addresses environmental hazards and violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
- May perform other duties upon request.
Competencies and skills:
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Exercises Sound Judgment & Decision Making: Understands and processes complex information, which allows for appropriate and accountable conclusions. Does not react too quickly or slowly. Balances facts, goals, and potential approaches taking the appropriate criteria into account. Makes active decisions and commits oneself by communicating confidently and respectfully.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Word processing, spreadsheets, data entry, database experience and other computer related skills.
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
* Licensed Practical Nurse
* Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
Other Needed Skills:
Valid driver's license with reliable transportation and agency required auto liability insurance
Ability to travel in assigned service area.
* Lifting, moving and loading 30 to 50 pounds.
* Alternate shift schedules (day, evening, nights, weekends).
* Continuous standing.
* Continuous walking.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status