Northern Light Acadia Hospital
Department: Behav Hlth Consult Prof Svcs
Position is located: Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
** This position is eligible for a sign on bonus up to $7,500 for independently licensed clinicians**
Northern Light Acadia Hospital Consult Services is a team of highly experienced providers including masters level clinicians, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners and bachelors level discharge planners working in 17 emergency departments and inpatient units across the State of Maine on a 24/7 basis. We have 2 current openings on our team at Eastern Maine Medical Center, 1 in the Emergency Department and 1 on our consult liaison team, seeing patients currently admitted medically. As a member of our interdisciplinary team, you will complete emergency psychiatric evaluations, assist with creating discharge plans and provide direct and immediate clinical care. Working in this setting assures your exposure to multiple diagnoses and age groups, oftentimes within one day, and that you are always working at the top of your license. Other than meeting the demands of the day, there are no productivity requirements and documentation is completed by the end of your shift. This is a fast paced, high energy job which relies on advanced and expansive clinical knowledge as well as the ability to make quick decisions and think independently. Every day is a new day to make a difference! Come join our team.
Check out what it is like working at Northern Light Acadia Hospital:
The Consult Clinician is independently licensed (LCSW preferred) with experience in the treatment of mental health, addiction, or co-occurring disorders, and forensics. The Consultation Services Team provides psychiatric/chemical dependency triage and assessments at varying levels of urgency for all age groups on a 24 hour basis. The work environment includes telemedicine on site at The Acadia Hospital, interview rooms at The Acadia Hospital in, the Psychiatric Observation Unit, St Joseph’s and EMMC Inpatient and Emergency Department examining rooms and work areas, inpatient units at Acadia Hospital and outpatient areas at Acadia Hospital. Work hours vary. The clinician also provides assessments and evaluations for minor to critically ill clients on a scheduled basis. The clinician works under the direction and supervision of the Clinical Supervisor for Consult Services and Care Coordination and the clinical supervision of a physician, either an Acadia Psychiatrist, EMMC physician or both. Acting as a liaison with many community services and providers, the clinician is responsible for negotiating/advocating for the most appropriate, least restrictive services for the client. The Consultation Services Clinician models a multi-disciplinary approach to providing quality patient care as defined in the Acadia Hospital/Acadia Healthcare policy and procedure manual. This person performs duties and/or responsibilities as assigned by the Manager or Supervisor for which s/he is qualified.
• Provides psychiatric/substance abuse triage and assessments at varying levels of urgency for all age groups on a 24 hour basis and within multiple environments such as telemedicine on site at The Acadia Hospital, interview rooms at The Acadia Hospital, the Psychiatric Observation Unit, EMMC Inpatient and Emergency Department examining rooms and work areas, inpatient units at Acadia Hospital and outpatient areas at Acadia Hospital.
• Works under the direction and supervision of the Clinical Supervisor for Consult Services and the clinical supervision of a physician, either an Acadia Psychiatrist, EMMC physician or both.
• Acting as a liaison with many community services and providers, the clinician is responsible for negotiating/advocating for the most appropriate, least restrictive services for the client.
• Because of their evaluative skills they provide coaching, training and supervision to clinicians and other hospital personnel as assigned.
• Completes comprehensive, diagnostic evaluations by collecting data which enables the identification of potential therapeutic targets for active treatment.
• Develops initial master treatment plan and updates in collaboration with the patient and within established timeframes that identify effective interventions to achieve outcomes, and accommodate the patient’s developmental level, motivation, health/spiritual beliefs, functional capabilities, and strengths.
• Implements individual, group and family therapy interventions that are evidence-based and are consistent with service plan and developmental level and needs of patient to elicit therapeutic change.
• Modifies interventions based on continual assessment of the patient’s response to treatment.
• Articulates anticipated treatment outcomes that are patient oriented, evidence based, therapeutically sound, realistic, attainable and measurable.
• Completes documentation that reflects evidence-based practices, active patient involvement in care, attention to objective outcomes and identification of any barriers to treatment progress.
• Maintains a safe environment complying with NLH policies and procedures, reports and directly addresses environmental hazards and violations of patient safety policy and/or protocol when involved or observed.
• Continually seeks to develop professionally by providing didactic clinician and interdisciplinary trainings within identified specialty areas.
• Functions as an informal leader within program area and larger hospital by providing ongoing feedback to colleagues on evidence-based practices and outcome informed care.
• Provides clinical supervision to clinicians as assigned
Competencies and skills:
- Possess exceptional evaluative and diagnostic skills
- Capable of managing workload within fast-paced and dynamic treatment and emergency environments.
- Exhibit strong verbal and written communication skills as it relates to coordination of care, case presentations and clinical documentation.
- Understand and value multidisciplinary treatment modalities and the importance of involvement of community care providers and informal support systems in the evaluation and care of patients
- Demonstrate the ability to synthesize and interpret vast amounts of clinical data for patterns/trends to inform decision making about clinical interventions.
- Leads training and supervision initiatives with interns and clinicians as assigned.
- Provides case management to coordinate comprehensive health services and appropriate referrals to community providers and support systems to ensure continuity of care following discharge.
- Provides clinical coverage across levels of care and with diverse populations as assigned.
- Provides and receives feedback from all disciplines when evaluating, planning and implementing interventions.
- Maintains knowledge about Acadia treatment programs provided including admission criteria and primary program contacts.
- Regularly considers and involves family, community providers within evaluations when possible.
* Licensed Clinical Social Worker with the State of Maine or eligible to obtain
* Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
* Alternate shift schedules (day, evening, nights, weekends).
* Continuous standing.
* Continuous walking.
Northern Light Acadia Hospital is an acute care, regional psychiatric hospital in Bangor, Maine that is a leader in the provision of tele-psychiatry services, including consultations to regional emergency departments and primary care practices. Northern Light Acadia Hospital offers innovative programming in the form of a behavioral home health, integrated behavioral healthcare in primary care practices, and a geriatric mood and memory clinic, which is involved in multiple clinical trials for promising Alzheimer's medications. The hospital is the sole corporate member of Northern Light Acadia Healthcare that provides a substance use disorder treatment program, case management services, and other outpatient mental health services in Penobscot, Waldo, and Knox counties. Northern Light Acadia Healthcare is the sole member of Restorative Health, LLC that operates an outpatient mental health clinic in Bangor. Northern Light Acadia Hospital is a member of Northern Light Health, an integrated statewide health delivery system that is raising the bar with no-nonsense solutions that are leading the way to a healthier future for our state. Northern Light Health offers a broad range of providers and services, including nine hospitals, primary care and specialty physician practices, long-term care, home health and hospice agencies, and emergency ground and air transport.
Bangor, Maine is a vibrant small city with easy access to Maine's spectacular coast, mountains, and lakes. Schools rank among New England's best with the flagship campus of the University of Maine located in the neighboring town of Orono. Bangor serves as the regional hub for medicine, the arts, and commerce. Bangor International Airport offers direct and one-stop service to most major destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status