Office of Information Technology
OPENS: June 13, 2019
CLOSING: June 28, 2019
PURPOSE OF ANNOUNCMENT:
Office of Information Technology is looking to fill our Computer Operator opening based in Augusta, Maine.
This is technical services work involving the operation of large, multidimensional, digital, mainframe computer systems including associated peripheral equipment. Work requires a high degree of mobility, frequent bending, constant moving, and the ability to lift 35lbs on a regular basis. Reasonable accommodation will be made for qualified handicapped employees. Work is performed under general supervision.
- Operate a large multidimensional, digital, electronic (mainframe) computer in order to meet user information needs.
- Operate and monitor magnetic tape units, printers, mass storage equipment, consoles, card readers, and other computer peripherals in order to support computer operations.
- Operate and monitor high speed laser printers and other associated forms processing equipment to produce required reports.
- Obtain, load, and unload magnetic tapes to ensure proper job execution.
- Load and unload printers to obtain required hard copy output and maintain printer availability.
- Prepare output for distribution to facilitate distribution.
- Verify output quality and completeness before release from the machine room to ensure production standards are met.
- Evaluate hardware, software, and user program abnormalities to ensure job is correct or to report problems.
- Perform preventive maintenance on peripheral equipment to keep computer system operating correctly and efficiently.
- Perform simple troubleshooting and completes forms, logs, and problem reports to identify and report problems for analysis and correction.
CANDIDATES MUST HAVE:
- Knowledge of multidimensional electronic data processing principles, practices, and techniques.
- Knowledge of at least one mainframe computer system including related components, their configuration and function.
- Ability to operate a large multidimensional, electronic, digital, mainframe computer and associated peripheral equipment.
- Ability to analyze operations and arrange components into logical sequences.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs.
(Entry level knowledges, skills, and/or abilities may be acquired through, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO the following coursework/training and/or experience).
A high school diploma or equivalent and one (1) year of related data processing experience in a multi-dimensional, multi-processing computer environment. One (1) year of technical computer science/data processing training/education may be substituted for work experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please visit the following website and apply online: https://maineoit.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0j9k3?cjb_hash=O_zLWq10&apply_now=true.
The selected candidate will be required to complete an official job application and pass the required background checks as a condition of employment. *Maine State Government is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. Only U.S. Citizens or aliens who have a legal right to permanently work in the United States are eligible for employment. We cannot sponsor applicants requiring work visas. Resume’ and Cover Letter must be submitted by: June 28, 2019.
CODE: 0861 PAY GRADE: 14 - $13.41 - $17.57/hourly
The value of State’s share of Employee’s Retirement: 15.37% of salary for BU positions. The value of State-paid Dental Insurance: $13.13 biweekly. The value* of State-paid Health Insurance:
- Level 1: 100% State Contribution (employee pays nothing): $444.68 biweekly
- Level 2: 95% State Contribution (employee pays 5%): $422.45 biweekly
- Level 3: 90% State Contribution (employee pays 10%): $400.21 biweekly
- Level 4: 85% State Contribution (employee pays 15%): $377.98 biweekly
*The level of the actual value of state paid Health Insurance will be based on the employee’s wage rate and status with regard to the health credit premium program.