WEX Inc is a provider of innovative payment processing and information management services spanning multiple industries including Fleet, Health, and Travel with offices across the globe. As a Data Scientist on the Advanced Data Analytics (ADA) team at WEX in Portland, Maine, you will be at the heart of this product and insight revolution. You will be part of a highly energetic and innovative team that believes that nothing is impossible with creativity and hard work.
With each of our industry segments come rich data ecosystems that are proving to be abundant veins of opportunities and insights. This data allows the ADA team to solve complex problems and enable our team to launch new products that help our customers understand, optimize and streamline their businesses while ensuring that WEX stays ahead of its competitors.
Experimentation and exploration are at the core of what we do. As a data scientist on the ADA team, you will work to effectively turn business questions into data analysis and provide meaningful recommendations on strategy.
We are looking for a high-energy self-starter with a passion for data science, attention to detail, and a positive attitude. You must enjoy diving deep into data sets and finding interesting patterns through analytical experiments run in a methodical way.
The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to:
- Drive both descriptive and predictive analytics to new levels within WEX. Profile, segment and cluster our customers into new and evolving models to generate better response rates, revenue growth and an enhanced customer experience
- Build “what if” models to aid in the rapid testing, validation and deployment of new campaign ideas
- Explore unstructured digital data looking for trends about WEX, our customers or related industry topics that could spur lead generation opportunities
- Discover opportunities for business growth by uncovering new insights, data assets, and products via applied data analysis
- Design and deliver interactive data visualization & dashboarding tools using modern methods and systems
- Automate data workflows to efficiently manage large data sets and create replicable analyses
Data Science projects at WEX are involved with a broad range of payment customers, with responsibilities that span the entire life cycle of analytics projects:
- Collaborate with internal and external customers to develop clear business and measurement objectives
- Apply various quantitative methods, including regression, multivariate and graphical methods to analyze and interpret information from complex data sources
- Provide integrated analytical solutions across disparate customer data sets
- Develop and maintain functional expertise in a broad array of payment businesses
- Conceptualize and communicate strategic solutions
- 4+ years of relevant experience in data science or advanced analytics
- Bachelors degree in a quantitative field such as computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, physics, psychology or similar quantitatively focused subject areas or job-related experience
- Ability to think creatively and solve problems
- Passion for diving into data to discover hidden patterns
- Track record leading successful data science projects
- Experience assessing and identifying opportunities to apply analytics to complex business problems involving a wide array of data sets; conveying results, challenges, direction, and timelines to management and clients
- Track record of writing clear and well documented code for data analysis, preferably in Python and/or R SQL proficiency and experience working with relational databases
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to distill complex issues and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience with data visualization tools and libraries such as Tableau, D3 and Matplotlib
- Must pass a successful background investigation
- Willingness to travel on occasion to attend industry conferences, training, or to conduct on-site customer consultation visits
- Distributed and cloud-based computing experience
- Experience with AWS Redshift, EMR, EC2, S3, Athena and Sagemaker
- Experience with Google Big Query, TensorFlow, Tensor Board, Keras and PyTorch
- Familiarity with common Python data science libraries such as NumPy, SciPy, Pandas and SK-learn
- Strong background in data mining, machine learning and statistical analysis
- Experience working with large datasets and knowledge about parallelization
- Experience working with large sets of data, and designing of ETL flows
- Master's degree in a quantitative field such as data science, statistics, machine learning, AI would be a plus
- Experience working in an agile development environment
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disability