Job Posting End Date: July 30
Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company — not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we’re excited about what’s next. Join us.
General Summary:The AVP, Data Services is the enterprise one-stop shop for all data demands across the technology and transformation organization including all journey teams. This role and its team have a direct impact on growth, CSAT and finding opportunities to reduce operational expenses. Tactically the position will have strategic input into the enterprise IT Data strategy and roadmap. The role will plan, direct, oversee and coordinate the development, design, creation, and modification of Unum data analytics and machine learning software and related applications. This role will have direct management responsibilities for a team of highly skilled business analysts and data analysts along with other IT specialist positions. In addition to the direct management responsibilities of US staff, it will also be instrumental in the leadership of cross-country data resources and 3rd party vendor resources.
Strategic leadership over the leveraging data as a strategic asset for Unum, to accelerate the digital transformation journey. Build the relationship and partnership with business/journey executive leaders to align our delivery roadmap. Partner with data team to refine and execute the roadmap for strategic program like MDM, ODS, enterprise data lake and data quality efforts. Direct leadership over the business and analysis team of the data organization to support the strategic programs.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the enterprise one-stop shop for all data demands across the technology and transformation organization, including all journey teams
- Provide input into the enterprise IT Data strategic roadmap
- Management, technical leadership and direction of Business analysts and Information Technology professionals working within agile/infrastructure or operations teams, working across a wide range of environments, supporting the analysis, development, design, creation, modification and testing of Unum data services and related applications, including analyzing workflow, establishing priorities, developing standards and setting deadlines
- Build strong relationships with varying levels of business and journey leadership to influence leaders on the value of Data Services to deliver repeatable and verifiable value for the organization
- Develop and manage relationships with internal Enterprise Data Customers & Stakeholders to ensure visibility of data services, Be an escalation and consultation point for risks and issues pertaining to work intake, analysis output, resourcing and budget
- Own the work intake process for Enterprise Data and responsible for analysis outcomes and close partnership/handoff to Data Management team
- Provide leadership input into ongoing strategies and roadmaps – MDM, ODS, EDW/Platform Modernization
- Participate in strategic planning with business and information technology professionals to provide direction, guidance or recommendations on technology and architectural considerations
- Continuously research emerging trends in the marketplace and effectively turn marketplace knowledge into actionable insights for the organization to improve, modify and upgrade where appropriate
- Reviewing project plans, planning, and coordination of project activity relating to analysis, development, oversight and direction for design, creation, modification and testing of Unum data services and related applications
- Oversight and direction of the data services delivery
- Developing and interpreting organizational goals, policies and procedures related to Unum data services and related applications;
- Removing obstacles and roadblocks that impact performance, working with business partners and teams to translate the business strategy or roadmap into outcomes, and ensuring that agile teams apply best software engineering practices, including test driven development, peer reviews, continuous integration deployment practices, unit and regression test automation, adherence to standards, and comprehensive team retrospectives
- Using metrics and tools to understand team performance and efficiency, taking actions to improve the efficiency of the team, and working with infrastructure and operations managers to ensure strong and diverse talent is in place to meet business needs and goals
- Coaching and development of agile/infrastructure or operations teams supporting analysis, development, design, creation, modification and testing of Unum data services and related applications
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, or a related field
- Has 10+ years of experience in an IT field, or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Prior management experience
- Excellent knowledge of computers, computer programming, programming languages, software engineering, information technology, mathematics, statistics, software development design and testing, and software testing tools.
- Proven and demonstrated skills in the following areas: Analytics Tools; Agile/Lean leadership principles; big data tools such as Teradata, RedShift, and Hadoop; SQL, including ability to perform effective querying involving multiple tables and subqueries; position monitoring, managing, manipulating and drawing insights from data; and statistical modeling techniques such as GLM multiple regression, logistic regression, log-linear regression, or variable selection.
- Excellent communication ability with the ability to interact and influence varying levels of leadership
- Ability to think strategically and still act tactfully as a technical expert
- Proven leader with ability to successfully coach and develop others
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.