Type: Full-time, Salary
Location: Portland, ME
Tilson is a high growth team of driven professionals with a national practice. We are on a mission to build America’s information infrastructure. We accomplish this with a team of experts working collaboratively on meaningful, impactful projects for great clients. Our team environment fosters intellectual curiosity, motivates employees, and cultivates talented people who work with purpose, mastery and autonomy. We strive to listen to our clients, partner with them as a team, and accept their goals as our own.
Tilson has been recognized on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest growing private companies in the U.S. for eight years in a row.
We are is looking for an experienced Controller, who will report to the CFO, to lead our accounting team in support of our fast-growing telecom engineering services and construction and IT consulting teams. We are seeking a hands-on team player with a strong work ethic who has exceptional communication skills, attention to detail and excellent follow through. Our team consists of employees that are mutually supportive, flexible, and emotionally intelligent. This position is full time, requires little travel, and is based in our new and modern HQ in Portland, Maine.
Finance Team Description:
Tilson’s finance team is lead by our CFO and includes 10 staff with varying levels of responsibility and experience. Tilson’s ERP system is Sage 300 CRE, with reporting and analytics in Qliksense, and all systems are located in the cloud.
Controller Job Responsibilities:
- Work as a partner with the CFO to provide value to the Company’s stakeholders including senior management, Board of Directors, Investors and third-party partners.
- Oversight of the monthly accounting close process, including maintenance of the general ledger and all subsidiary ledgers, ensuring close process occurs timely and accurately.
- Review and oversight of job cost accumulation, estimates to complete and related financial impact of percentage of completion calculations.
- Continuously evaluate, mentor, coach, and develop Tilson’s accounting staff to achieve the highest standards of performance, both technically and in their ability to work in cross functional business partnership to deliver results, this includes recruiting, hiring, career development, goal setting, performance evaluation, balancing workloads and resolving performance issues, as appropriate.
- Maintaining effective internal controls, process, and system improvements to provide for internal customer friendly, lean, and fast transactional processing and to allow the Company to scale quickly and efficiently.
- Work with the CFO to manage and oversee the company’s insurance and risk management programs.
- Review and oversight of accounting staff’s work including recording and processing of accounts receivable and accounts payable, payroll allocations, and general ledger postings.
- Oversee the preparation of accurate and complete monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, financial analysis, and other management reports, including management of related operational and compliance objectives for Tilson.
- Provide guidance and direction around process improvements, new business setup and management and input into long-term financial systems strategy and scalability.
- Monitor cash management including individual construction projects, as applicable, and supervise and monitor cash funding.
- Primary point of contact with external accountants to coordinate financial statement audits, and preparation of the tax returns, as applicable.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with local, state and federal reporting requirements and working with our outside CPAs on tax filings.
- Represent Tilson in a positive and professional manner at all times.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance is required, and an MBA or CPA is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of accounting experience, including at least 4 years managing an accounting team.
- Previous experience in the Construction and Engineering industry and Sage 300 CRE experience is preferred
- CCIFP preferred but not required. Ability to become CCIFP certified within one year required if not already certified.
- Extensive experience with Generally Accepted Accounting Principals including new revenue recognition rules.
- Ability to resolve complex accounting issues timely and accurately.
- Strong analytical and financial reporting skills
- Strong systems, process and change management skills.
- Extensive knowledge of internal control functions and documentation.
- Management experience in a complex, fast paced and deadline driven environment with a proven track record of leadership and employee development, including performance management and training.
- Ability to effectively lead and influence others, including direct reports, peers and vendors.
- Ability to meet aggressive deadlines in a dynamic and complex environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedural manuals.
- Expert computer user required. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point. Replicon, Concur, and Qliksense experience helpful but not required.
Successful candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check.
Tilson offers a competitive benefits package, including:
- Paid time off
- Healthcare, disability, dental and life insurance benefits
- 401(k) retirement savings plan with automatic company contribution
- Entrepreneurial, highly technical and customer-focused work environment
Our mission is to serve our customers by building, integrating, and maintaining the information technology and communications infrastructure that enables great organizations to innovate and deliver.
Tilson is a world leader in executing information and communications technology projects to build a more connected world. We accomplish this with a team of experts working collaboratively on meaningful, impactful projects for great clients. Our team environment fosters intellectual curiosity, motivates employees, and cultivates talented people who work with purpose, mastery, and autonomy. We strive to listen to our clients, partner with them as a team, and accept their goals as our own.
We will run our business sustainably, for its financial health, its people and the public good. We believe in:
- Safety- above bottom line. Cutting corners is never an option.
- Integrity- we do what is right, even if doing so puts us at a temporary disadvantage.
- Accountability- everyone at Tilson is accountable for the work we do as a whole.
- Professionalism- be trusted by our clients to be their ‘get it done’ team.
- Respect- for our employees, clients, and partners.
- Composure- we are comfortable in chaos and trust that we will always find a way through any challenge.
Tilson is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action employer
Tilson provides equal opportunity to all employees on the basis of individual qualification without regard to race, sex, religion, color, age, national origin, physical and mental disability, genetic information and history, sexual orientation, or other category protected by state or federal law. Tilson does not discriminate in the recruitment, hiring, compensation, promotion, transfer, benefits, or any other condition of employment.
- Principals only. Recruiters should not contact Tilson.
- No phone calls please.