Job Posting End Date: 07/10
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:General Summary
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing features for the existing portfolio of applications for a business area.
- Responsible for communication and collaboration with key stakeholders in the delivery of technical features.
- Design, codes, configures, unit tests, maintains, and documents software deliverables using agreed upon standards and tools. Participates in sizing and estimation activities within the agile team.
- Communicates daily with the team members or Manager and the Marketing team on progress made and planned progress for the coming day and reports any impediments that are blocking their progress.
- Participates in code reviews and sprint retrospectives; ensuring their ideas for team continuous improvement are communicated so that the overall process and team can improve sprint by sprint and readily receives feedback for self-improvement. May lead parts of same.
- Focuses on delivering business priority and value at all times.
- Responsible for ensuring the quality of existing and new features through both manual and automated testing and use of continuous integration techniques, where practical
- Demonstrates an interest in software architectures and seeks to design solutions in alignment with Company stated architecture and standards.
- Participate in Proof Of Concept work and prototyping when necessary.
- Collaborates with Information Architects to confirm understanding of business. requirements relating to features to be delivered and to help the Business Analyst define requirements that can be delivered from a technical perspective.
- Collaborates with User Experience (UX) designers to ensure designs produced can be translated efficiently into working solutions for feature delivery.
- Collaborates with the agile team to establish the definition of done for each of the stages of production within the team.
- Collaborate with Information Architects to ensure that software meets the definition of done; ensuring successful transition of work to the next stage of production during the sprints.
- Ensures an innovation culture in the team by continuous improvement of deliveries and participates in evaluating new processes and technologies that can be applied to future feature delivery.
- Collaborates with team leads to transition software features to a production environment ensuring that the deliveries meet application performance criteria, release standards; and ensures application and system stability.
- Plays an active role in delivery of assigned tasks through timely completion, identification of broader impacts, remaining accountable for assigned functionality, and providing solid estimates for assigned items.
- Thinks with the mind of the end customer at all times, ensuring solutions seek to improve the customer experience and delight their customers.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science is preferred, or equivalent relevant business experience
- 2+ years experience with demonstrated success at the in software development and software development practices or equivalent experience
- Shows evidence of analytical ability
- Takes a logical, analytical approach to problem solving and pays close attention to detail
- Knowledge of Agile Development Methodologies
- Self motivated and results oriented
- Takes an innovative approach to problem solving
- Demonstrates strong focus on quality delivery and delighting customers; holds self to high standards of delivery
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
- Strong team player; able to work effectively within a team and more broadly with people from a variety of backgrounds and areas across the organization.
- An understanding and experience with some of the technologies below is expected and the candidate is required to develop deep expertise in many of these during their work in Unum :
- Development Tools / IDE’s: Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, Browser Dev Tools (IE & Chrome), SharePoint Designer, Fiddler, Charles, WireShark
- Source Control: Visual Studio Team Services, Github, BitBucket,
- Frameworks and Libraries: JQuery, NodeJS/NPM, AngularJS (1.x), KnockoutJS, Backbone, Ember, React, Bootstrap, Foundation, Office UI Fabric, Material, Gulp, Grunt, JSLint, Mocha, Chai, Karma, Protractor, Selenium, Nintex, K2
- Cloud Platforms: Azure, Google Cloud, AWS, Salesforce /Force.com, Heroku, Cloud 9
- Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008 R2+, Mac OSX, Linux
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.