Northern Light Mercy Hospital
Department: Nursing Administration
Position is located: Mercy Fore River
Work Type: Full Time
FTE: 1.0 - 40 hours per week
Work Schedule: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
The AVP for Surgical Services is responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of the strategic plan for the service line, which is consistent with the organizations strategic and business plans. As part of the incumbents’ responsibilities, the AVP is responsible for the Orthopedic service line leadership. The AVP is responsible for the overall performance of Surgical Services, strategic development, business development, Outpatient Surgical Specialty Center (OSSC)/ASC strategy and implementation, successful execution of established objectives, and positive promotion of the services continuum from acute care through outpatient programming with linkage to community resources. The AVP is responsible for maintaining a culture of positive communication and cooperation between physicians, nursing, and staff to ensure established objectives are achieved.
The AVP is matrixed to the VP for Nursing and Patient Care Services for clinical oversight and the President of Mercy Hospital for strategic oversight.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
- Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital's commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
- Collaborates with administrators, physicians, directors, managers and other providers to facilitate planning, implementation, and evaluation of strategic plan and initiatives.
- Collaborates with Director of Surgical Services – Inpatient, Director of Surgical Services - OSSC, and the Director of Orthopedics to create an operational plan consistent with the program's strategic plan.
- Collaborates with the Directors of Surgical Services and the Surgical Services Management Team to develop unit/department-based goals and objectives are in concert with the overall direction of the service line and the overall hospital strategic plan.
- Guides priorities and focus of work for activities of the service line and organization.
- Links inpatient and outpatient plans to promote coordination of care across the continuum and to promote operational efficiency.
- Facilitates/collaborates in the development of program and business plans to address newly identified patient care needs.
- Develops annual and multiyear capital budget.
- Develops annual operational budget to support strategic plan.
- Oversees the daily operations of the service line in collaboration with Directors of Surgical Services and Surgical Services Management.
- Makes recommendations to improve the productivity, quality and effective delivery of patient care services.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures.
- Achieves established productivity benchmarks for all areas of operations.
- Executes, successfully, the established plans and the services through measurement, monitoring, analysis, reporting, and adjusting the direction, allocation and utilization of available resources.
- Collaborates with Physician Leadership to support program/practice changes to continually improve resource utilization.
- Provides reports of Service Line budget analysis to VP of Nursing and PCS monthly.
- Models patient outcome focused care and customer centered philosophy in practice.
- Interprets and addresses issues of patient care internally and externally (Administration, Medical Staff Committees).
- Recognizes and addresses bioethical and legal issues that influence the delivery of patient care.
- Assures compliance with all appropriate regulatory bodies for delivery of patient care.
- Facilitates quality improvement activities and processes.
- Reflects organizational, service line, and departmental goals in the performance improvement plan. The plan includes shared process improvement and outcome measures.
- Integration of quality improvement activities is intentional and continuous. The various disciplines and medical staff share content areas and indicators.
- In collaboration with the Directors of Surgical Services, develops key indicators and collects monthly data to monitor, trend and analyze clinical performance.
- Facilitates multidisciplinary, performance improvement committees to develop evidence-based practice and monitor variances.
- Builds partnerships that support and promote care coordination and care management strategies (i.e., physicians, home care agencies, long-term care centers, insurers, etc.).
- Provides leadership for developing and strengthening the professional role of the disciplines.
- Promotes outcome focused and customer centered care.
- Articulates expectations of performance.
- Provides guidance to director, and managers regarding resource utilization.
- Participates and encourages others to participate in professional research presentations and review of published findings.
- Maintain a collaborative environment that encourages growth through ownership of the service line culture.
- Models behavior that invites colleague interaction and demonstrates mutuality.
- Communicates in a manner which is open, clear, respectful, and consistent.
- Provides strong leadership within and between service lines to promote the goals of the hospital, including employee and physician engagement and retention
- Invites feedback and acknowledges contribution of others. Provides constructive feedback to employees and peers to further hospital goals.
- Establishes a leadership development strategy that identifies and promotes a high performing Surgical Services leadership team.
- Models collaborative behaviors which facilitate achievement of service line goals.
- Strategically establishes linkages with other key departments which facilitate the goals of patient care delivery.
- Handles conflicting situations in a dignified and respectful manner.
- Conducts purposeful counseling/coaching sessions with direct reports for purposes of professional development (i.e., percent of performance appraisals done in a timely fashion, one-to-one standing meetings).
- Advocates for and assures colleagues attendance to and participation in professional development activities.
- Participates actively in leadership forums such as nursing leadership, team building exercises, organization wide efforts such as department/section manager activities, etc.
- Supports organizational efforts of establishing and maintaining relationships with communities, benefactors and other employees.
- Supports organizational values by recognizing employees in written and verbal modes.
Competencies and skills:
* 5+ years of relative work experience required.
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Acts Strategic: Creates effective plans that anticipate future consequences and opportunities and is able to connect the day to day operations to longer-term objectives, shifts in the industry, and system goals.
* Applies Business Acumen: Demonstrates knowledge of current and future trends that impact organizational success. Applies proven practices and business theories to get results that meet financial as well as other business goals. Recognizes opportunities for new services and products and acts accordingly, taking measured risks into consideration. Possesses a thorough knowledge of their field and independently carries out their work in accordance with professional standards of the profession.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization's benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences' level.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Influences and Inspires: Builds enthusiasm and commitment among others to move in a desired direction and models it personally. Creates a compelling vision of success that motivates workplace initiative and energizes others to follow. Provides direction and guidance to encourage cooperation between team members in order to attain an objective. Has the ability to appropriately influence others' actions and decisions with and without express authority.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Utilizes Resources Effectively: Understands how to get the most out of available resources and uses cost-benefit thinking in decision-making and in setting priorities. Monitors and analyzes resource usage to identify and eliminate areas of waste and maximize resources. As a leader, defines targets and provides appropriate means; oversees progress and makes adjustments when necessary. Appropriately delegates work, sets clear direction and manages workflow and time.
* Registered Nurse
* Master's Degree
* Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.
* Potential exposure to noxious odors.
* Potential exposure to hazardous materials.
* Potential exposure to diseases or infections.
* Need to drive to perform responsible duties.
* Lifting, moving and loading less than 20 pounds.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status