Job Posting End Date: 12/30
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:Digital Transformation Office Summer Intern
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company — not just insurers.
We are seeking students to join our team of talented IT professionals, who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
After orientation and on-boarding, you’ll join one of our business areas, where you will be assigned meaningful, challenging project work, that will have an immediate and important impact on our business. You’ll work on collaborative projects, while also having ownership of individual work, that will push you to learn and grow, as a professional.
Unum is changing, and we’re excited about what’s next. Join us, next summer!
- Work for the leader in the disability-based employee benefits marketplace and in a professional, corporate setting.
- Contribute to meaningful project work that will leave a lasting impact on the business.
- Participate in a cross-functional business case challenge with other interns to solve for real business needs.
- Attend weekly professional development and information sessions, learning about departmental functions and enhancing your professional skills
- Exposure and networking opportunities with senior leader, across enterprise locations.
- Take part in social events; have fun and build your network with other interns
- Participate in community service activities, by supporting organizations that make our communities stronger, advocate for greater access to the benefits that strengthen our societies and families, protect the environment around us, and invest in our workplace culture
- Join one of Unum’s Employee Resource Groups and work with the Office of Inclusion & Diversity to help advance Unum's inclusion journey and represent the full spectrum of what makes us unique
- Earn college credit for your internship. (Faculty/Hiring Manager pre-approvals are required)
Past Digital Transformation Interns Projects:
- Creating applications to interact with our current platforms
- Design system testing, documentation and prototyping. Take existing design files, identify patterns and application.
- Performing moderate complexity development, system analysis, and programming activities including writing; Apex, SOQL, Aura, APIs, and C#.
- Working directly on an Agile Scrum Team, by preparing the appropriate developer documentation including performing implementation and maintenance of multiple products.
- Performing bug verification, release testing and beta support for assigned products. Researching problems discovered by QA or product support and develops solutions to the problems.
- Candidate must be enrolled in an accredited college degree program
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, IT Security, Informatics, Information Science/Technology, Software Engineering, Security and Risk Analysis, or other STEM related majors preferred
- Experience with UI/UX design, .Net, SQL/SQL, HTML, automation, AI, cyber security, mainframe, and/or automation preferred
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and on-campus involvement
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to think both strategically and tactically
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel software applications
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed on project work
- Excellent communication skills
- Intern must be available to work 40 hours per week during regular business hours.
- The internship program starts in early June 2021 and will last about 10-12 weeks.
Thank you for your interest in Unum! After applying you will receive an email confirmation that your application has been received. Please note that we will not be reviewing applications until October 2020 for our internships.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.