Job Posting End Date: 09/05
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:Looking for individuals to bring their curiosity and individuality to Unum, where you'll develop professional skills, get hands-on experience that will help you grow both personally and professionally.
You will join a team where your manager or team lead will assign you meaningful, challenging project work that culminates in an end-of-summer presentation to key business leaders. Your projects will require you to work independently as well as within teams.
This internship is designed to provide exposure to the field of actuarial science as a career in a life insurance corporation. This position provides technical support to the actuarial staff, and potential areas of assignment could include: pricing, valuation, modeling, experience analysis, & business analytics.
- Work for the leader in the disability-based employee benefits marketplace & in a professional office setting.
- Contribute in meaningful project work that will leave a lasting impact on the business. Previous intern projects have included: assisting in maintenance of pricing & underwriting tools and maintaining valuation systems.
- Learn about departmental & corporate functions.
- Attend weekly information sessions & networking opportunities with senior leaders across enterprise locations.
- Take part in social & community service activities with fellow interns.
- Interns are considered as potential candidates for our Actuarial Development Program upon graduation
- Earn college credit for your internship. (Faculty/Hiring Manager pre-approvals are required)
- Relocation support is provided to eligible interns
- The internship program starts in early June 2020 and will last about 10-12
- Portland, ME
- Columbia, SC
- Chattanooga, TN
- Worcester, MA
- Candidate must be enrolled in an accredited college degree program. Preference given to students that will be rising seniors and/or first year graduate students during the summer of 2020.
- Extensive coursework in math, actuarial science, statistics, economics, or finance
- Required overall GPA of 3.3
- Applied leadership skills
- Desire and ability to pass actuarial exams
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.