Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences is searching for a talented, versatile communicator with a passion for the ocean and the incredible opportunity it represents. As science communications specialist, you would use your creativity and diverse skill set to engage nonscientists with cutting-edge ocean research.
Your work would play a critical role at Bigelow Laboratory, a nonprofit institute that works to understand the ocean and use its discoveries to better the future for all life on the planet. Your communications would illuminate the excitement and importance of the institute’s global research, growing broader awareness and appreciation of the work.
This position would make full use of your diverse storytelling skills as you create and support a wide variety of multimedia and written communications. Bigelow Laboratory is well known around the world for its scientific excellence, and you’d work alongside the director of communications to convey that excellence through the quality of the laboratory’s communications.
Outstanding technical, interpersonal, and project management skills would be key to your success, in addition to your natural attention to detail, critical thinking, creativity, and strong work ethic. This is an exciting position that will challenge you, inspire you, and empower you to make a difference. If you are excited by that prospect and have the proven ability to develop high-quality communications about complex issues, we’d love to hear from you.
There are endless and diverse opportunities for communications at Bigelow Laboratory. We’re searching for an excellent team member and may be able to finetune the position to best utilize the right person’s strengths.
Fuse creativity, science translation, and communications strategy
- Gather and process information about complex, unfamiliar research
- Find compelling stories in a sea of jargon and details
- Craft engaging communications, with thoughtful attention to goals, branding, medium, accuracy, and audience
Create effective visual communications
- Capture and edit high-quality photos and videos
- Build on-brand materials, such as marketing emails, webpages, and presentations
- Complete small design projects using Adobe Creative Cloud
Create compelling written content
- Write and edit a wide variety of strategic content for specific target audiences
- Manage and grow social media presence
- Identify newsworthy happenings and effective storytelling angles
Manage communications projects and processes
- Oversee processes for gathering information, coordinating staff, and supporting projects
- Help identify media relations opportunities and connect with key reporters
- Complete research and reporting projects and analyses
To be qualified for this opportunity, you must have:
- Passion for science and its ability to help us understand, utilize, and care for the ocean
- Proven ability to take and edit high-quality photos and videos
- Proven ability to apply creativity and visual design skills to strategic communications
- Proven ability to write engaging and accurate content about scientific subjects
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a relevant field
- Two to five years of relevant work experience; however, recent master’s graduates with exceptional skills and experience will be considered
If you feel your experience aligns with the responsibilities and requirements outlined above, we strongly encourage you to consider joining our team. Please upload your cover letter, resume, and the three work samples that best illustrate your fit for this role. The application deadline is June 15, 2020.
The position is located at our state-of-the-art research and education campus, which sits along Maine’s stunning coastline in East Boothbay. It is a full-time, ongoing role that offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience and a full benefits package. Some local travel will be required to document fieldwork on and off the water. Hours are generally regular, but some evening and weekend work may be required due to events, deadlines, or other timely reasons.
Bigelow Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.