Job Posting End Date: 09/12
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
General Summary:The Unum Finance Technology team drives the finance strategic planning process as well as promotes collaboration and insightful analysis around our data strategy, tools & applications and process improvement. Our team’s Information Project Analysts support a variety of financial reporting processes and data acquisition tasks across product lines.
In this highly technical position, as the AVP, Finance Information Management, you will provide strategic leadership to business partners across Unum Group. You will direct activities and influence business decisions/outcomes. You will champion technical needs across all Product Lines as well as our broader Finance Accounting and Reporting needs. Under your hands-on leadership, a team of highly skilled team members will serve to inform and ground business decisions, collaborate with subject matter experts, provide quality financial analytics and exercise judgment to drive optimum solutions for complex issues. As a leader of a technical financial team, you will effectively manage and develop the team in a manner consistent with the Company’s talent management goals and objectives.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides strategic direction, guidance, and recommendations to address a wide range of business data and technology needs and supports the implementation of agreed upon solutions.
- Partner with framework teams to identify and enhance data sources and data feeds in order to improve the accuracy and consistency of data used for reserve engines and reporting.
- Engage IT in design of architecture and technology solutions that meet business needs and desired modeling capabilities.
- In support of Finance Technology, takes bold action to ensure strong, diverse talent and leadership pipeline in place to meet aggressive business goals. Develops, coaches and engages people to higher levels of performance.
- Has a broad understanding of IT, Data, and emerging technologies and uses this knowledge to assist stakeholders/business leaders in understanding available IT capabilities, technology/business implications, financial considerations, and return on investments to deliver business improvements and competitive advantage.
- Leverage resources across Finance, IT, and business areas to maximize capacity and value to the organization.
- Ensure capability deliveries are aligned across business functions and within multiple agile data and Corporate Systems and/or operational teams.
- Represent Finance business needs and impacts to finance processes and applications and drive the development of action plans to meet business needs and minimize business disruption.
- In partnership with practice leaders, adopts and influences the definition of the company’s technical and architectural roadmap objectives.
- Understands patterns and trends that contribute to utilizing key performance indicators and critical success factors that will improve the performance of the organization.
- Develops influential relationships with internal and external partners and vendors at the senior management level, including industry leaders.
- Understands and is an advocate of following architecture standards, practices and processes.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) with ten years of related experience required.
- Demonstrated leadership in developing and implementing Finance strategic information, technology and business plans that address business priorities while working with key business and technical leaders.
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to effectively partner with cross functional leadership roles; influence others and problem solve issues arising from concurrent project timelines; demonstrates strategic and critical thinking capability
- Expert understanding and experience pertaining to technology, data skill set, business processes and related data assets
- Deep knowledge and understanding of financial, business and insurance concepts as they relate to financial reporting, planning and metrics, particularly in key financial areas like cost, sales, planning, performance management, reporting, pricing, valuation and reinsurance.
- Extensive knowledge of Unum’s financial system infrastructure and diversity in technical experience including: architecture, applications and data; extensive understanding of finance/actuarial concepts; seen as a credible technology partner
- Ability to plan, communicate and presentation skills, and the capability to listen and influence while applying broad business understanding of internal and external trends and financial considerations to leverage business process and technology opportunities, meet evolving customer needs, and ensure successful implementation of area plans.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.